View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: restoring an old car

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Have you ever restored a Euro Import?...I imagine it is a bit more difficult and expensive

Depends on what. The more interchangeable parts, obviously, the easier it will be. A lot of imports also use similar or identical chassis codes as something found in the domestic market. So if that is your goal, the first thing you would do is apply the breakdown, sort it out to see what components are shared, and then you have an excellent starting point.

When I say apply the breakdown. I'll share the basics of my personal system.

First you want to break everything into it's categories. Engine will be the biggest priority, mainly because you can find shops with varying experience and knowledge that are capable of the fab work with the chassis and body. If you do this stuff yourself. Which, if you are doing the whole thing yourself, it's still handy to have a non-internet person to feed off of, for advise.

But in your case, I would suggest usually do something along the lines of Engine, chassis, suspension, transmission, interior parts, in that order. Find all of the compatible vehicles that you can look to for parts.

Things like brakes, suspension, electrics(well, aside from what has to work with the interior you ultimately want), ignition, mounts, cooling+radiator, upholstery and bodywork are at the mercy of the craftsman anyways and you can do all of that yourself without needing to find exact parts. Of course, I say that wish a disclaimer, because if you want to make it a full numbers matching car, as it was from the showroom floor, everything becomes a great challenge.

Once you have assessed your goals, and where to go about getting parts, you can start to break down the vehicle and actually see WHAT you need. Then sort what you need and what you want, budget, grab the parts, get the tools, and pull that engine out(the whole thing, don't try and rebuild and rewire it IN the bay).

Also, measure twice, cut once. That means make sure you have the necessary information. Get help when needed. You don't want to lose a limb or break expensive parts because you feel like this is your experiment. You will quickly get discouraged by unbolting things willy-nilly.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote