Thread: New Pope Chosen
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #49
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: New Pope Chosen

Quote:
what happen to the black dude? eh, i think it was best that he wasn't nominated. he prolly didn't want it.
Those are the best ones. 2 of the 5 best popes in history didn't want it (Gregory I and Benedict XVI).

Actually, good popes not wanting it is a tradition that goes all the way back to Simon Peter.

Quote:
I mean really...I couldn't care less about the pope. I can't recall anything relevant that Pope Benedict did.
Benedict did a lot, but it was all very quiet. He did a lot to reform the liturgy (if you go to a catholic Mass, everything will be a lot less cheesy and dumb than ten years ago). He also exercised more control in the nomination of nuncios and bishops than normal (which basically means almost everyone who was hired in the church hierarchy in the last eight years was personally chosen by him) (Which probably means there are a lot less heretics and perverts now than before). These are important things. He didn't go around calling for the arrest of every bishop who concealed a child molester, or anything, (I wish he had; and some think this new guy might) but he didn't just sit there and twiddle his thumbs, either. He's a scholar, not an assertive leader type. Before he quit the papacy, he tried to retire from his last job (which was the 2nd or 3rd most important job in the CC) like 3 times but JP2 wouldn't let him.

If you want to get to the point of why Benedict was a big deal, read one or two of his books. He is the best philosopher / thinker of the last 50 years at least; whether you accept his premises (historicity of the Gospels, Catholic doctrine) or not, the force of his intellect and clarity of his writing are universal. A real intellectual heavy-hitter.

Last edited by Clifton : 03-14-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote