View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #155
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Default Re: "Rape Crew" in small town Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Note: While bloggers started these outlandish rumors and Anonymous perpetuated them, the media was also complicit in spreading untruths and giving a national and international platform to the lies being told.

It is easy to blame all of this on the bloggers and Anonymous, but I lost a lot of faith in the integrity of the media along the way. I will never react to a big news story the same way again. I'm sure there were times I was guilty of jumping on a bandwagon just because I expected the mainstream media not to miss the mark this badly.

It was a real wake-up call.

Was this case sensationalized until the Anonymous or whoever it was started talking about this in December? Again, I didn't live though this case, but the few articles I looked at had the Anonymous allegations as part of the story, that is those allegations were driving the story, so covering the story meant covering the allegations. Now there's a responsible and irresponsible way to do that, but you're right, even wide circulation of responsibly reported allegations are going to leave a mark.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote