View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Going to be a dad, need ISH tips

It's completely crazy the first few months. Just realize that the crazy no-sleep schedule won't last forever. After that it's an amazing journey. Each age has its own joys and challenges. And it all goes by so fast. My 2 cents:

Don't neglect your marriage. Understandably at first the child becomes the most important thing in your life. But once you get the schedule under control and get used to things, you need to do the things you've been doing before to keep the marriage strong.

Remember that you are a parent. It is your job to be the bad guy and say no and enforce the rules. It hurts sometimes but someone has to be the grownup or the child ends up running the household. Believe me, you don't want that. I don't believe in spanking but I do believe that bad behavior should have a negative consequence. I see parents make idle threats all the time ("If you don't stop that we won't go to the park later") but they don't follow through. Kids are smart and it doesn't take them long to learn that their parents aren't really going to do anything when they misbehave.

Anyways congrats. You're in for an amazing ride.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 03-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote