View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Default Re: Teach an old schooler about "Jorts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Hmm, to each their own, I suppose. Personally, after a long summer's day work, even if I work indoors, I cannot wait to change into something with breathability once I get home. Perhaps that also has to do with the fact I do not have air conditioning in my house, though I find myself doing the same even when in an AC environment.

Still, only speaking for myself, I cannot imagine watching the news on a Saturday morning, seeing it's going to be 97 degrees that day, then consciously opting to put on a pair of jeans or pants for a my trip out to the grocery or otherwise.

Also, before you brought it up, I'd never heard that road and lawn workers wore jeans and long sleeves because it kept them cooler. My understanding was always that they wore those outfits to cover their entire body, hence protecting them from the sun, since they're working outside all day every single day, and also to a lesser extent perhaps to prevent injury from debris.

And just a theory, but I've heard stripping when extremely cold is a sign of hypothermia - perhaps it's the same for those suffering from heat stroke or heat exhaustion, which may be why soldiers are told to keep their clothes on (sounds iffy though). Maybe it once again has to do with exposing their skin to the sun for long and dangerous periods of time. I just feel like trapping sweat is the last thing one would want to do. If sweat is just lingering and not evaporating, I feel as though your body would have a more difficult time cooling itself, which is why humid days are so miserable.
I think the older you get, the less you wear shorts...your clothes shopping starts to revolve around work more than anything else...and then when taking the wife out to eat or something you can't wear shorts....outdoor activities become less and less.

When your a kid you can wear shorts all day every day, not so much when your a working adult.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote