Thread: Excel. yo
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Excel. yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
Hmm.. where to begin?

Well Excel has always been one of the primary interfaces for OLAP reporting--connect to a cube and you can slice and dice the data via PivotTables.

There's a relatively new component of Excel called PowerPivot that allows you to build a full fledged data model (complete with relationships) within your file. You can import a large amount (I'm talking in excess of 100 million rows) of data from a variety of sources, mash it together and perform analysis on top of it. You can use it in conjunction w/SharePoint for collaboration as well.

The bottom line is that in no way has Excel become irrelevant and in fact it's gained more value as a data analysis tool. Your blanket statement of "use SQL Server for everything" doesn't make any sense since you need the proper tools to gain proper insight into your data.

Hopefully the version of excel that you're using comes with a tutorial on reading comprehension as ""use SQL Server for everything" is no where to be found in any post I made. Now being able to handle upwards of +100 million rows is great, but who's doing to do that manually? walmart certainly isn't and neither would any e-commerce site worth a damn.

My suggestion was based in quality of the datasource, as using an actual database to store the data is highly suggested, especially with most companies switching(if they haven't already) to a web based model that presents itself as a service.

In terms of data analysis, yes, you can use excel for charts, but I would recommend against it for storing data. You can make the same charts though using jQuery and HTML5
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote