Thread: Excel. yo
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Excel. yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Hopefully the version of excel that you're using comes with a tutorial on reading comprehension as ""use SQL Server for everything" is no where to be found in any post I made. Now being able to handle upwards of +100 million rows is great, but who's doing to do that manually? walmart certainly isn't and neither would any e-commerce site worth a damn.

My suggestion was based in quality of the datasource, as using an actual database to store the data is highly suggested, especially with most companies switching(if they haven't already) to a web based model that presents itself as a service.

In terms of data analysis, yes, you can use excel for charts, but I would recommend against it for storing data. You can make the same charts though using jQuery and HTML5

I don't think my reading comprehension is in question here; rather it's your inability to clearly state your opinion in your OP.

I wasn't talking about data sources for EDW, OLTP or application development. Obviously relational databases would be the first option. My argument was the value of Excel to it's traditional audience: the business user.

Last I checked, most business/data analysts don't have a skill set that overlaps with JavaScript programming. The ability to analyze data in Excel goes beyond basic charting. There are a couple more new Excel add-ins called Power View and GeoFlow that allow you to quickly whip up rich/interactive visualizations of your source data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
especially with most companies switching(if they haven't already) to a web based model that presents itself as a service.

This is a misleading statement. "most companies" are not switching to AWS or Azure, at least not ones that give a damn about their data.
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote