View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: East asian exchange students - your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
I really want to believe that and these guys are nothing like the people I met when I was in East Asia and I always get amazed by the East Asian culture and history. I have no racist beliefs when it comes to asians or anyone else, don't get fooled by my lame punchlines about Godzuki, those were only because I wanted him to freak out.

But seriously, I've seen too many socially retarded and dirty exchange students from East Asia. I'm starting to think that these are the kids that have rich parents and who never had to work on their personalities or anything else because they were born with a silver spoon, it's mind boggling to see how these guys behave and how they interact with people who are not from the same country as themselves.

The main reason is probably because their language skills suck. If you went over exchange to China with very limited Chinese, wouldn't you try to stick with other white people rather than risk embarrassing yourself? It's easy to criticise people when they are out of their comfort zone and you're not, and it's very tempting to just meld back with your ethnic group that you are comfortable with, rather than meeting new foreign people.

I'm not saying I agree with it at all, but I believe that's how it generally works. IMO, it does kind of defeat the whole point of going on exchange in the first place.

Quote:
I second that millwad, I too had exactly the same experience they also would invite their other Chinese friends to our kitchen and occupy that place from 3PM to 3AM at least 3 times a week. All the while cooking and playing card and board games while shouting out, screaming, making it impossible for anyone in the corridor to study or relax.

Have you tried asking them to be quiet?
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote