View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 1on1 moves against taller, longer defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieming
The key isn't doing this move or that move....shammond / spins/ in and outs / mirror hesitations....it's good to have them in your arsenal, but for me it's about getting the space to get your shot/layup off, so being shorter you need:

1. Fakes.
2. Change of speed and direction, go horizontal and euro step from time to time.
3. Seal off with your body or with your off hand (this is illegal but rarely called)

And by the sounds of it, the defender is guessing what you're doing, so you're being too predictable.

As per Rake2004's advice, Try give and go...watch S.Curry, he does that a lot with back cuts.

And the last thing, confidence! If you are intimidated by his defence than you are already at a disadvantage. And all your moves will be half hearted and become even easier to defend.

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing with this guy for like 10 years so he knows all my moves inside and out. I can almost always get to the basket and finish with people who don't know me well, because they never expect someone to be able to drive and finish with both hands for some reason. But this guy knows every damn thing I do, used to do, have tried to do, thought about doing, etc. haha

I think what I'm concluding overall is that I need to be a lot more savvy with my moves instead of relying on raw quickness so much. Like you mentioned changes of speeds, fakes, etc. I think I get way too caught up on going from 0 to 60 because I CAN, and it usually works. But against better defenders it just doesn't work anymore, you need savvyness.

One thing that helps a lot is, I stole Rondo's quick little layup he does off the wrong foot. Catches people off guard all the time. I'm driving left and pull up for the layup way earlier and quicker than normal. People never expect it.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote