View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #15
joe
College star

Default Re: The guy who starts fights at the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendiggity
I can see where you're coming from. Sometimes when I talk on the court I feel like a complete ass. Although, most times for me it's more about understanding the emotions of all the players on the court. I've had guys come to me and tell me I was pumping them up when I was saying things like "take the game over, Jeff. They can't stop you." Most the talking I do is for my teammates. When I can tell someone is taking the talk personal I try to calm the situation down. But I'll be honest, it's something I have to get better about. I'll never be able to stop talking on the court because I'm a natural leader, it's just in my nature. I just have to be better about saying the right things.

I look at basketball as a fun hobby. I take the competition (very) seriously but at the end of the day it's all about having fun, working on my skills, and enjoying the game. Some people, especially teenagers, are always looking for trouble and trash talk is usually the first sign of that. Next thing it's hard fouls and playing too rough, and next thing it's someone throwing a swing. I've seen this happen many times, and each time it starts with trash talk. For me.... I ain't got time for that.

That being said, I play with and love playing with some trash talkers. You can tell when some guys are just being funny/cool about it, and I don't put those guys in the same category as the others. But overall, unless it's someone I know, I prefer the only talk to be relating to the game.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote