View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #1909
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

I didn't understand why Wiggins was shooting so many 3s either. He never plays like that... There's a shot chart of an aau game where he went about 14-18 from the field and nearly every single dot was right next to the rim. That's typically his game.

edit: I found it...
https://twitter.com/DaveTelep/status...523904/photo/1

I think he was trying to prove he could shoot the treys. All he did was show he needs to work on his jumper.

Disappointingly, I also like Parker's game. He's going to wreck havoc as a stretch 4 in college. imo, he and Randle are going to battle for best productive frosh status next season.

Box score:
http://www.usabasketball.com/misc/13_hsum_box_score.pdf

---

There's a Lenny Cooke documentary coming out that looks interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne61w4R20QE

If you don't remember him, he was the next proclaimed basketball prodigy. Listened to the wrong people, couldn't play high school ball his senior because of it, didn't have the grades for college, went undrafted back when you could forgo college, and the rest is history.

He actually played a large part in putting LeBron on the map. They matched up at the old ABCD camp and at the time LeBron was an up and coming soph (or junior) with hype surrounding him, but Cooke was the guy with all the hype. iirc, LeBron beat his ass in their matchup, hit the game winner, and then the massive Bron hype train began rolling.

That's back when I first started following recruiting. Watched Cooke play at the TOC and he looked like an NBA player. In the same tournament Raymond Felton played one of the best performances I have ever seen a high school player play in my life. Maybe the best. He was unreal back in the day.

A trip down memory lane:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...30/brick_0530/

Quote:
In fact, one of the most exciting games we've ever seen was the pool play matchup of Beach Ball Select, whose only other strong prospect (besides Felton) was 6-10 Florence (S.C.) Wilson sophomore C/PF Major Wingate, and the Raleigh (N.C.) Heat.

The Heat included not only 6-9 1/2 junior PF Shavlik Randolph (one of the nation's best six or seven prospects in the class of 2002) from Broughton High in Raleigh, but also touted junior imports 6-5 WG J.J. Redick of Roanoke (Va.) Cave Spring; 6-6 swing bomber Matt Walsh (committed to Florida) of Fort Washington (Pa.) Germantown Academy; and somewhat overrated 6-10 C Michael Thompson (who plans to join Redick at Duke) of New Lenox (Ill.) Providence Catholic; plus high-Division I-caliber in-state juniors Eric Williams (6-9, 305-pound C) of Wake Forest-Rolesville High and 6-2 combo guard Shawan Robinson of Leesville Road High in Raleigh. This was truly a David vs. Goliath battle, and if you know anything about the Bible, you know who won!

As sharp-shooting Redick (who wound up with 38 points) scored virtually at will, Beach Ball Select fell far behind early (as it did in all of its five games) but rallied from 17 points down to win 99-96 in overtime, thanks to ultra-quick Felton's clutch heroics and 45 points. You had to see it to believe it. Felton, who says his early commitment to North Carolina is 100 percent firm, drilled a contested 3-pointer in the final couple seconds of regulation to tie the game, and he mesmerized both the Chapel Hill crowd (at UNC's Dean Smith C) and the Heat with the game on the line. Note that a few hours later, in the playoff quarterfinals and Felton's third game of the day, he tallied merely 41 points to lead his team to a thrilling, come-from-behind 72-65 victory over an extremely athletic Grassroots Canada team from the Toronto area. Whew!

Been my favorite player ever since.

Last edited by IGotACoolStory : 04-23-2013 at 12:52 AM.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote