View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #43
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
My brother is an administrator and he doesn't make that kind of money. Ace is making some pretty general assumptions in this thread, overall.

I know a lot of good teachers who genuinely care about the kids and have devoted their lives to what they do. As with any career, there is a range of employees with different levels of interest/involvement.

As for rate of pay for teachers, it fluctuates based on cost of living in the area, but I don't know a single teacher/coach who makes anything close to $80,000 a year.
Yeah, I do not think $80,000 is that common for a teacher. But like you said, it kind of depends upon location and district.

In our district, pay begins at $34,000 and if someone is employed at that district for 25 years (and did not achieve a Masters) the highest they'll be paid is around $63,000 per year. With a Masters, 30 more credits on top and over 25 years of service, that number can reach $70,000. So $80,000 is not far-fetched, but it'd take a lot of experience and going above and beyond a Masters to make it happen.

In regards to teaching itself, I think the truth about the time, the effort, and the pay (or lack thereof), lies somewhere in the middle of what everyone's saying here. It's certainly not a 180 day/8 hour job. But I also don't think teachers are totally in the poor house. As other folks said, at least a teacher's wage is, for the most part, livable, where there's many other occupations that require more work and pay less. I suppose it's all relative though.

If you guys want more information on teacher pay, most school websites have a "Transparency" icon on their homepage where they're obligated to showcase contract information to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
If this kid is truly as smart as he claims to be, he would attack the curriculum and not the teacher; teachers are only following a bullsh*t curriculum based on killing off creativity, using the lowest level kind of thinking (memorization and repitition), and training the mind to view the world through an erroneous perspective (materialism, facts, objectivity).

Classes are structured to be boring, textbooks are written like instructional guides on purpose to block conceptual thinking, and teachers are told to follow the procedure or they will be fired.
Well, I feel teachers can be terrible regardless of curriculum but you raise a very solid point anyway. A lot of teachers are handcuffed. The freedom we as students so desire is not always as possible as we wish it to be. Each administration and every state values percentages and numbers, not whether our students are actually learning. I mean, I think they wish and hope that high percentages and numbers mean kids are learning, but I think we all know they don't always go hand in hand.

As such, with higher standardized test scores and established benchmarks being a school's primary set of goals, there's often a very specific manner with which every topic and subject must be taught. Within my district, all teachers teaching the same subject level must be at the same exact spot in their progress on a day to day basis. That means if one teacher is at the point where they must make their students read The Great Gatsby and they're on page 45, any other teacher teaching their own English 2 class must also be at that point on the same day.

Schools, states, and districts want uniformity. There are very specific benchmarks to be met and oftentimes, that means a teacher is not able to go down the roads they wish to go, or spend the amount of time they wish to spend. The great ones can find a way, but at this point they're still never free to unleash what they're capable of. The words of wisdom given by most older teachers in our district these days is, "Whew, I feel bad for you new teachers. It's crazy what you guys have to go through now." So that's always comforting.

If you understandably skipped all the long text above, here's the essence of what the modern day public school system has developed into:

"What was educationally significant and hard to measure has been replaced by what is educationally insignificant and easy to measure. So now we measure how well we taught what isn't worth learning." - Arthur Costa

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote