View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: do air jordan releases still draw a long line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Yes, they retro every few years but depending where you live, there will still be a line when they retro whatever shoe again. You're kidding yourself if you think that waiting for the next time they retro, won't be a line. Might be an even bigger line with the way things have been going.

There are line-ups for some of the iconic pairs ie: XI cool greys, space jams, concordes, III fire reds... nobody is lining up for shoes like the V grapes and other off colorways anymore, at least not around here. And if you look at the people who are lining up, yes they are fools, maybe more like sheep, herding to something they think has value. If they were smart they could probably research and get an OG pair off Flighclub or ebay. But comparing to the line-ups back in the time of the original OG retros, that was when it was the pinnacle of collecting.

Quote:
that's because those Kobe's, KDs, Lebrons have much better technology for basketball shoes. These Jordan Retros were made in the 90s. Most people don't wear them to hoop, but for casual.

Same could be said of the early 2000. Shoe technology had been getting better, at least better than some of the retros coming out. But you still saw more people rocking III's or IX's on the court over some of the more technologically advanced Flights or Huraches. If it was still a respected brand ballers would still wear them over today's current shoes. If it was still a respected brand the current Jordans would be in demand IE CP3 or Melos.

Quote:
I wish you were right but The demand is still there, if not even bigger. Just about every OG retro sells out and people line up every time they drop. Where I live, everyone still wears Jordans. Still creates ridiculous hype that you don't see with other brands. DS space jams still go for $300+

The landscape of the people buying now has completely changed. It's not the shoeheads or basketball players, it's resellers and hipsters that buy the shoes now. I just recently unloaded some space jams for $300. I told the guy to meet me at the gym. He meets me and the kid looked like a total hipster. Even rode in on his skateboard. Inspected the shoes and looked for the typical collector things and gives me what I asked. I asked him if he wanted to stick around and play. he says naw man, I don't play ball. these are the people lining up.

Quote:
And I'm glad some resell prices have gone down. If people would just stop paying over retail for a pair of sneakers, these resellers would be out of business and have a room full of unsold sneakers. Then again, JB could just make more pairs and that would solve many problems.

I wish they did, or just quit the retro game all together and just focus on marketing, aquiring new athletes and building the brand. I bet if the did that they could sell any iconic retro for $500 a pair every ten years and sell twice as many units and still carry a reputable brand for basketballers.

Last edited by hateraid : 05-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote