View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Default Re: do air jordan releases still draw a long line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Maybe I've become a crusty old shoehead who can't accept change. (Apparently that's my new schtick on here ). When you've been collecting for over a decade I guess it gets a little disheartening to see a rerelease of something you've made an epic journey over, only to devalue what you currently have.
As for the brand in itself, I see it more as a novelty now over a premium basketball shoe brand. They used to be at the top of the basketball shoe game is the 00's. It has now become what Ice Creams and Bapes were over that period. A fashion item. This to me will kill the brand all together. Once the novelty wears off, the brand will be a sitting duck, just like Ice Creams and Bapes. We still live in a generation where the consumers still recognize Jordan the brand. This may be over soon with the next generation and the emergence of new faces in the shoe game.
KD's, Brons, Kobes, Rose will never reach that level of demand that the Jordan brand has acheived. But the shoe game as a whole will go back to the days where athletes can be endorsed despite the shoe brand. Back it the day where Nique wore Brooks, Bird and Magic wore converse, Worthy wore New Balance, The Dream wore Etonics, Dee Brown wore pumps....
But agin I'm just an old man ranting

I don't blame you, if I waited in line for some sneakers, only to see them rereleased years later down the line, I wouldn't like it either. But you know what, nothing changes the fact that they are OGs and most dont have your version. Once it started where you had to line up to buy sneakers, I stopped buying. Didnt have the time or patience to wait in line. I came back once the online option opened up and could order from the comforts of home. So for a guy like me, I love that they bringing back a lot of the ones I missed out.

Not much interest in OGs because I like to wear my shoes and a lot of the OGs are not wearable. Plus those prices...

I don't see the Jordan brand going away. Comparing it to ice creams and bapes is such an insult . Those were fashion trends. Jordans are as much a staple to the sneaker world as Nike, Reebok, Adidas, ect. As long as there is Nike, there will be Jordan. Too much money to be had.

And the days of athletes endorsing sneakers regardless of brand, is over. Why? Simply because Nike, Adidas and Reebok can offer X amount of money than Spaulding (I would die if they brought back those Dream Etonics). We live in a world where brands dominate. People gravitate to the popular brands. Any athlete that is deserving of his own shoe will be bought up by one one of the big companies. Like now, Cam Newton and Brandon Jennings have their own sneaker with Under Armor and most people could care less because, they are under armor.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote