View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #113
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Quote:
INSIDER – Marvin Williams to have surgery

Posted on May 31, 2013 by David Locke

Utah Jazz announced today that Marvin Williams will have surgery on his right heel and Achilles tendon on June 3rd and be out an estimated 6 months.

Here is the impact of Marvin’s surgery.
1) Marvin will certainly opt in for the final year of his contract putting 7.5 million dollars on the Jazz salary.

Don't think there was ever much doubt about it after the season he had!

Quote:
2) Marvin’s on court role could have taken a significant change this season and still may. With the possible departure of Millsap and Jefferson Marvin could have become the Jazz 3rd big man. Marvin played the power forward a good deal in Atlanta and has the ability to stretch the floor. Marvin seemed more active whenever he played that role this last season.

Interesting. If he's fighting Jeremy Evans for the 4th big man minutes I might not have a problem with it. 3rd big man than they are definitely in tank mode and I can't say I'm ready to jump on that bandwagon as popular as it's become! He's not a good fit in their offense. He's a spot shooter. Foye too.

Quote:
3) The Jazz lose a good long defender for at least a month of the season. The Jazz had played 17 games by Dec 1st last year. It is reasonable to think the Jazz could miss Marvin for nearly a quarter of their games this next season.

They also lose a guy who sucked big time! Hopefully his expiring contract will be traded and he will miss all their games.

Quote:
4) This makes a tough call for the Jazz front office in two areas. In the front court when decided what do with Millsap and Jefferson or find replacements the Jazz will likely have to add two big men to the roster to be able to survive the first 20 games.

They need to be looking at a minimum 2 vets IMO. Millsap(Jefferson God forbid),Tomic(though technically he'd be a rookie) or someone else to start opposite Favors or Kanter. They need another to fight Evans for the 4th big man role which shouldn't be an everyday rotation role this year.

Quote:
5) At the small forward position this makes DeMarre Carroll an important re-sign for the Jazz. If Williams was going to play the small forward in the upcoming season those minutes needed to be filled for the portion he is going to miss.

He was important anyway. They played better with him on the floor. He could probably play some 4. I could see G playing some 4 someday when he matures physically.

Quote:
6) I am not sure it alters the Jazz draft day approach.

It shouldn't. They need a combo guard. Any other picks should be sf/big to develop overseas or in the D-League and insurance for G and Favors possible departures next summer.

Quote:
7) Lastly, Marvin is only out until Dec 1st (estimation) he will be a part of the roster for the other 75 to 80% of the season so any move to cover for Marvin’s injury then could be a logjam move once he is healthy.

He caused a logjam this year and better players sat because of him. He has to go or ride the bench.

Quote:
8) Ok 1 more, Marvin will miss all of training camp. If Coach Corbin is planning on instituting new system’s Marvin won’t be able to participate in those drills. However, Marvin is a smart player so he should be fine once he is healthy.

He wasn't fine this year!
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote