View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Straight_Ballin
Local High School Star

Default Re: How do you stop this VERY FAT and TALL guy DOMINATING in streetball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Being that you guys were in middle school, I can understand how that'd be a tough situation. How old was this big guy? And did this happen at a public court or a school court? He must have not had very many basketball options in his area if he had to resort to playing against middle schoolers every single day. Also, depending on that guy's age, I'm having a hard time picturing him wanting to fight a slew of 12 year olds.

That said, if some things were a little different - let's say you guys were not middle schoolers and you were playing at your city's primary court - I wouldn't be able to have an issue with anyone trying to step in and play. Sometimes players (even big ones) just want to get out there and exercise.

Are you guys playing 3-on-3 half court? Is lack of numbers the reason you don't run full? Either way, I'll echo what others have said. If it seems the big man can just back everyone down and shoot jump hooks after he catches with a defender on his back, the I'd say front that man and/or try to make him catch the ball out of his comfort zone.

Even in a game of 3-on-3, if a defender's fronting the post, a teammate should still be able to keep an eye on the backside in the event of a lob over the top. And if fronting is not an option, it sounds small, but I'd again suggest trying to do whatever you can to make the big guy catch it a little further away from the hoop than he'd like. Sometimes, even if a big guy is capable of backing a defender down 23 feet away, he won't (or 10 feet away even). Moreover, the further he is from the hoop, the more opportunity there should be to help down and attempt to bother his dribble.

Sometimes the best you can do is not necessarily stopping a guy like that altogether, but just making it more difficult for him than he'd prefer. You may not be able to block his hooks, but maybe you can alter just enough variables to make that shot feel at least a little uncomfortable, leading to more misses.

Also, a man that large is often going to be giving up something somewhere. His mobility and/or stamina could be lacking and in that case, try to turn that into an advantage on your end. Have whoever he is guarding step away from the hoop (to take the big man away from the rim with him) thus opening up lanes and creating an opportunity for the big to be taken off the dribble from the perimeter.

I haven't played any true seven footers in three on three. But I have played against my share of 6'7'' to 6'9'' 300 pound linemen hybrids and a lot of cases, it takes a second to realize it, but they're often giving up as much as they're providing. They surely hit their share of inside shots that make you think, "Geez, absolutely nothing I could do there" but the other aspects of their game (speed, agility, stamina) tend to even the playing field to some extent.

Above all else, it usually takes at least some level of defensive coordination between teammates. If it's just a matter of each player guarding their guy and thus watching your biggest man go solo against the giant and watching him getting eaten up, then that'll be an issue. Things usually work better if there's a discussion and some sort of plan beforehand in terms of help, playing over the top, and pulling him from the basket.

Its 3v3. One man is inbounding, so he's being pressured so that a good lob pass might not be made. One man is fronting the big guy. The last guy is on the wing. Wing defender can't leave to protect the lob.
Straight_Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote