View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #1896
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Obviously I was talking about the whole Showtime/HBO thing. And yes, you do pick what fight you want to watch but I don't think that's picking sides. I could care less who's showing the fight, I'll go for the fun matchup.

I still say its not good for fans because like you said, there will be conflicting fights on the same night. That's pretty much the only time they are forced to put on huge cards because that's the only time they are going head to head. And who misses out, we do. Khan vs Alexander is not direct correlation to TR fighting overseas. They've been trying to out a fight in Dubai back when Mayweaterh Pacman was still feasible.

Not only fans, but this hurts Golden Boy too. HBO by default is the bigger network. They have 5 million more subscribers. Their boxing budget is much bigger, which means they have more money to spend on fights. So after supposedly losing Millions on the last Mayweather fight, Showtime went straight for the big money in Canelo and it should pay off.
Actually, I read it's around 8 more subscribers for HBO than Showtime.

Of course it's not good for fans to separate the boxers, but hey it is what it is. It's not good for the boxers either because certain fights just can't get made.

But in the long run, everything will work out for Showtime and Golden Boy. Short term, it's hurting their pockets a little bit, but it is bringing more fans over to the network and boxing in general. For Showtime, Canelo/Trout I think had the highest watched boxing match on Showtime ever, non-PPV and Broner/Paulie next week might rival it. But, compared to a regular HBO boxing event like Bradley/Provodnikov, it wasn't close. About 8 mil more subscribers will do that to you. Canelo/Trout 1.1 mil viewers and Bradley/Provodnikov 1.4 mil.

You can't tell me (or anyone else) since the deal has been made, Showtime/GBP hasn't been putting on better shows than HBO? Since Golden Boys defection to Showtime in mid-March, these have been the main events for each network.

HBO: Rios/Alvarado II
HBO: Donaire/Rigondeaux
SHO: Canelo/Trout
SHO: Garcia/Judah
HBO: Martinez/Murray
SHO: Mayweather/Guerrero
SHO: Matthysse/Peterson
HBO: Froch/Kessler II
SHO: Maidana/Lopez
HBO: Dawson/Stevenson

And their upcoming events are better too. Broner/Paulie >> Garcia/Lopez.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote