View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #133
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Most mock drafts have tabbed the 6-foot-3 combo guard as a top 10 selection, which would require the Jazz to make a trade to move up from their No. 14 and 21 first-round spots.

The two-time Patriot League Player of the Year believes he's ready to step in and play similar to the guy he's compared to on occasion, ex-Weber State guard Damian Lillard.

"I think I bring a decent amount of intangibles," McCollum said, mentioning his maturity, playmaking skills, shooting, deceptive lateral quickness and "heady" mentality. "I'd say I'm one of the players that's ready to play right now tomorrow."

Like most players who come to Utah, McCollum knows the Jazz have openings in the backcourt. Because the organization doesn't have a point guard under contract, he's intrigued by the opportunity of early NBA minutes.

Though some critics have questioned whether he's better suited to be a shooting guard instead of a point guard, he is confident in his playmaking abilities.

"Everybody has weaknesses in their game, but I feel like my game is very well-rounded. I'm a chameleon," said McCollum, who averaged 21.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists in his four-year career at Lehigh. "I can come in and contribute in a multitude of ways and I feel like it will show when I step onto the court."

Walt Perrin, the Jazz's vice president of player personnel, said the organization is still trying to "make that determination" about McCollum being a full-time point guard. Utah's decision-makers, he added, still have a lot of tape to watch and further evaluating to do before making a draft game plan.

But Perrin credited the 21-year-old for his shooting and ball-handling skills and for the way he adjusted to the Wasatch Front's altitude during Wednesday's workout.

"He struggled, but he fought," Perrin said. "He started shooting the ball a little bit better later in the workout. That's what we like to see."

McCollum, who scored 30 points in Lehigh's NCAA tournament upset win over No. 2-seeded Duke in 2012, hopes to follow the path Lillard, the reigning Rookie of the Year, took from small school to NBA success story.

"I see a lot of different similarities. We're both very poised,' he said. "We both have an ability to knock down shots in a hurry. We're both ready for the big stage."

McCollum also compared himself to Warrior sharpshooter Stephen Curry because of his success at Davidson and their playing styles.

"I'd say he shoots better than me and I'm more athletic," McCollum said.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote