View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is anybody else at a crossroads in life right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
I figured someone would get too curious and want to know.

In 2009, I got busted for possession of marijuana. It was less than 2 grams but the cops gave me a ticket anyway. The fine was just $109, but the charge was registered as a misdemeanor on my record.
In 2011, I applied for police training at my local police department and they told me that my possession of marijuana charge was potentially going to hold me back. I was recommended to keep myself crime-free and apply again in the near future.
Recently, I looked into it again on police forums, where real cops post, and they told me that my possession charge, though not serious, would affect my chances negatively. They informed me that I'd be competing against other candidates who don't even have so much as a speeding ticket on their record.
Lastly, because I had smoked for the last time (at the time) on Feb 18th, 2013, I was told that f*cked me up even more. Apparently, you have to be drug-free for a specific period of time. Most police departments expect a minimum of 3 yrs.

In short, I decided becoming a cop wasn't happening for me.

Edit: Not because I enjoy weed (I don't care for it much anymore) but because I know waiting another 3+ yrs while sitting on my ass isn't cutting it. I'd rather spend those 3 yrs striving towards a real career & not one where I'll forever be treated differently because of a pathetic charge on my record.

Thanks to everyone who responded. This site really does have some great members. You just have to look passed the plethora of garbage posters to find them but they're there.

just get your record expunged. Any police agency will see that you had the mary J charge but when its expunged its "off record".

secondly, how is the dept. you are applying to gonna know you smoked weed in february? I know they make you take lie detectors but lie detectors are really just a gimmick to get people to fess up to stuff.

Edit: how serious are you about becoming a cop? If its not really your ultimate goal and its just an idea you had that you might be good for it because of "your physique" probably not a good idea to get into it.

anyways you should get your MJ charge expunged regardless of what you do.

Last edited by DukeDelonte13 : 06-19-2013 at 08:13 AM.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote