Thread: Draft 2013
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
Rose
Hero in a half shell

Default Re: Draft 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
If I'm GarPax I don't give him a whiff of an extension until he fixes his wrist. In order to commit to him for 3-4 more years I want to know that the wrist won't be an issue. Also, how much is Deng asking for? I don't know if I'd go much more than $13 million/year, and an extension like that would hinder our cap flexibility going forward.
I would be hesitant honestly to give him more than 10-11. 13 is what he made this year. That's top 30 player money, I don't think a particular salary should directly rate a player/expectations of the player, but players that range should give an idea of their value. He made LMA, J-Smoov, Brook Lopez money. I don't know if he's in that pay grade. Right below that where Noah and Batum are in the 10-11 range. That's solid. While a lot of what Deng means to the team is more than his 16-6 or whatever it was this year with terrific defense. You can replace a portion of that with a less talented player. Especially given the team's financial standing currently/new cap when factoring in next year's cap is coming in lower than expected.

If he thinks he can get 13+ on the open market, by all means he should do that for himself. But like Noah (and kinda Taj) if he really wants to stay and be close to a championship with a good chance to earn one in the next 5 or so years...he needs to take a decent pay cut or really earn a same size/bigger contract this upcoming year.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote