View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
bmulls
Great college starter

Default Re: Anybody ever join a frat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Frats are good for networking in your professional life, but I couldnt join because I couldnt see myself getting hazed.. I punching back if I get beat on line.. I knew some guys in college who went over and they took alot of punishment and humiliation to get accepted.. I couldnt do that

I still wouldnt do it, but I do admit there are benefits in the professional and corporate world.. and they do link up to do community service and other good deeds.

The worst that ever happened to me was 20 pushups, and then during "hell week" they would wake us all up in the middle of the night banging pots and pans and blowing airhorns and have us recite history about the fraternity. They also had strict rules about brothers disrespecting pledges in front of girls and other stuff. For example you weren't allowed to order pledge pushups at parties with girls, or even refer to a pledge as a pledge. We treated them like brothers from day 1.

The torture, the gay stuff, that doesn't happen in the vast majority of chapters. I won't say it never does because I'll still hear a story every now and then.

Bottom line is hazing is a law suit nightmare. I know it was common at one point but the vast majority of fraternities don't do it anymore. If they do, it's an individual chapter going outside the rules. If they are caught doing it there are major fines and sanctions.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote