View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #2092
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
how come? i dont think there is a fighter from any era that could beat a prime Roy Jones JR. Dont let the last few years of his career fool you.
When people rank the top 5 pound-for-pound, it is usually about more than just how good you think a guy was at his peak. That's part of it, but it's also about who you beat, your accomplishments, etc.

I'm a huge RJJ fan, but he's nowhere near that high if you're making a real p4p list. He just didn't have enough marquee wins to be up there with the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Harry Greb, Willie Pep and Roberto Duran.

That's my personal top 5 p4p. If I had to sit and rank it out, I'd guess RJJ would fall somewhere between 25 and 40. Still very high when you consider this sport goes back over a century and there's so many weight classes.

At his absolute peak at 168, I might even be willing to say there's no one who has ever fought in that division who I would absolutely favor to beat him. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to prove it against another great fighter. The middleweight wins over James Toney and Bernard Hopkins were great, but he'd need a lot more of those kinds of wins to be top 5 p4p.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 07-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote