View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #2096
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Anybody unfamiliar with Ibeabuchi, do yourself a favor and watch Ike v. Tua from '97. One of the greatest heavyweight fights I've ever seen. And, I don't think Tua was ever the same guy after this fight.
If anything, Ike wasn't the same after that. He complained frequently of headaches after the Tua fight and his already odd behavior increased. The fight was incredibly close and could have gone either way. I personally scored for it Tua. The Byrd win was solid, though.

Ike has become overrated these days. Even before he went batshit insane and kidnapped those people, he was a ticking timebomb inside the ring. You could hear Ike's trainer imploring him not to quit when he was fighting against Tua during the middle of the fight. Essentially he's what Andrew Golota would have been had he retired right after the Bowe fights. Every internet forum would've had guys saying that Lewis was lucky Golota wasn't around. But since Lewis actually did fight Golota and ended up steamrolling him, that point is moot.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote