View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Stockton, B Hansen, P Manning, R Kelley 1985 jacuzzi

Quote:
During his career — spent entirely with the Utah Jazz — Stockton was the NBA’s version of Howard Hughes. He was the league’s mysterious recluse who gave few the opportunity to know him. Stockton avoided the spotlight and fought — stubbornly sometimes — to prevent outsiders from getting more than a glimpse of his life away from basketball. "I’ve been accused sometimes of being a hermit," Stockton said last week. "[But] my feelings about privacy have never changed and probably never will. Everybody deserves that." In Assisted, however, the intensely private basketball star successfully makes the transition to entertaining author. Salt Lake Tribune

Even more troublesome: Some new teammates began to grumble about their roles behind Stockton and Malone. They complained of favoritism coach Jerry Sloan allegedly showed his 40-something stars by not making them participate in every practice. "Things just started to add up," Stockton said. "Things that started to worry me had never worried me before. Things that started to bother me had never bothered me before. The aches and pains I felt, I had never felt before. My reaction to it — instead of attacking it — was an indication it was time [to retire]. That was the message." When told it sounded like his final season was a truly unhappy one, Stockton said, "I don’t want people to feel sorry for me. I had a great time. It was a great part of my life. But you can’t play forever." Salt Lake Tribune

They earned the right to not have to practice. They showed up for 2 decades and got the job done. Popovich has taken it even furthur in SA sitting them out of games to rest.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote