View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #243
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Trey Burke's brief bench banishment ended Thursday.

Unfortunately for the rookie point guard, his poor shooting didn't.

Though he made three shots in a row in the first half, the national player of the year missed his final 11 field goals in a 79-73 loss to Indiana at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

Burke, acquired in a draft-day trade after being picked No. 9 by Minnesota, has now only hit 9 of 42 shots (21.4 percent) in a Jazz uniform.

The 20-year-old said he felt rested after Jazz coaches had him sit out Wednesday's win over Brooklyn, but he's mystified by his continued inaccuracy.

"I know I can play much better than what I've been showing," Burke said.

According to the Jazz, those poor offensive numbers don't tell the full story.

Assistant Sidney Lowe credited him for being livelier Thursday.

"He went to the basket a couple of times and was able to get up and get the shot off," Lowe said of Burke, who had one particularly nice move when he went left and floated in a driving shot off the backboard.

"His defense was a little better; his movement was better," Lowe added. "I think the rest really helped him."

As coaches hoped, Burke did a better job of pushing the pace. That was one of the things he was instructed to do while sitting next to Jazz assistant Brad Jones during his one-game rest.

"The coaches said I played good, just my shot is flat. I've got to get some arch on my shot," Burke said. "That's just an adjustment I've got to make as well as playing through mistakes. Sometimes I make the wrong pass and I'm getting down on myself. I'm just trying to get comfortable out there."

Burke did finish with a plus-minus rating of plus-1 in a loss despite his 3-for-15 shooting. He had eight points, four assists, four rebounds and just one turnover in 26 minutes.

CHAMPIONSHIP DAY: Call off the parade preparations. The Jazz were eliminated from playing for the OPSL title with their loss Thursday. Utah is one of six teams that finished with a 2-2 record, but the Jazz and Pacers will have an early rematch Friday (8 a.m. MDT, NBA-TV) in the third/fourth-place game. Both teams finished with 16 points (three for victories, one for winning quarters).

Houston and Oklahoma City, both 4-0, will square off for the first championship in this new tournament format.

GAME RECAP: Former Bradley standout Chris Roberts, starting for Alec Burks, continued his solid play for the Jazz, leading the team with 18 points in Thursday's setback. The 6-4 shooting guard, who played for Austin in the D-League last season, leads the Jazz in scoring with 14.7 ppg this week.

Rookie center Rudy Gobert, the 27th pick in last month's draft, had another solid game with 11 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots. Guard Jerel McNeal, who has a non-guaranteed contract with Utah, scored 11 points.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote