07-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!
One summer league ended Friday amid scuttlebutt that another could be starting back up.
Utah Jazz president Randy Rigby said Friday that he is gauging interest around the NBA of resurrecting the Rocky Mountain Revue, the popular summer league played in Salt Lake City for 24 years until 2008. At the time, more teams began flocking to the slate of games in Las Vegas, which is run by the NBA, and the Revue fizzled.
Now, Rigby believes the trend could be going the other way.
"There seems to be an interest from teams in bringing it back," Rigby said. "We have an interest, and I think we have a fan base that would support it."
Rigby said the Jazz would ideally start a six-team summer league next summer the week before Las Vegas — and potentially run concurrently to the Orlando Pro Summer League, in which the Jazz have competed since 2009.
"We have some ideas of how maybe a change in the format that would be more advantageous to teams in the development of their summer league program," Rigby said.
Rigby said he intends to extend a general offer across the league soliciting five teams to join. Rigby said he would prefer to see games played at Salt Lake Community College, as they were before the Rocky Mountain Revue’s demise. Previously, RMR games were played at Westminster College, East High School and the then-Delta Center.
The Jazz played five games in Orlando, finishing 2-3, including a 73-70 loss Friday to the Indiana Pacers. One advantage to a summer league back in Utah, Rigby said, would be that games would be open to the public — like in Las Vegas. At Orlando’s Amway Center, seating was limited to league personnel and media.
The Orlando Pro Summer League was established in 2002 and offers a more intimate alternative to Las Vegas, in which 22 teams participate at two venues on the UNLV campus over 10 days.
Without a veteran point guard on the roster, the Jazz remain interested in signing former Toronto Raptor John Lucas III, The Tribune has learned.
Earlier this week, the 31-year-old Lucas had as many as four suitors, including the Jazz, but in meetings with other teams, Lucas indicated a preference to sign with the Jazz, a league source said.
Lucas was flown by the Jazz to Orlando on Wednesday, where team executives were gathered for the Orlando Pro Summer League. He met with coach Tyrone Corbin and the two have continued to talk.
Jazz angling for another draft pick
Before signing a point guard, however, the Jazz appear intent on using their cap space in another way. One source said the Jazz are trying to use their remaining cap space, approximately $5 million, in a trade that would net them another draft pick.
The Jazz have already acquired five future draft picks this offseason, including first-rounders in 2014 and 2017.
Sounds like they are waiting on signing Lucas because they might take on someone else's pg for cap relief and a pick? Lucas wants the Jazz because he will be a back-up? Burke and Lucas? They may not win a game!