View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #271
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Quote:
Favors has spent the summer training alongside Jazz legend Karl Malone, who turns 50 on Wednesday and "could come out here and still hold his own," Favors said.

Malone, who won Olympic gold medals in 1992 and 1996 as a member of Team USA, was notorious for his training regimens, and Favors said that holds true.

"When I’m with him," Favors said, "the intensity picks up. Whenever you do 10 [reps], now you work out with him you got to do 20. You shoot 100 shots, now you got to shoot 500 with him. So, the intensity goes up when I work out with him."

Favors had bulked up noticeably — a point observed also by Hayward — although the fourth-year forward said he has added muscle but maintained his playing weight. Last season, the 6-foot-10 Favors was listed at 263 pounds; on the Team USA roster, he was listed at 248.

Favors said conditioning is the key to his offseason, although he has spent about one hour each day working in the weight room, on skills and conditioning.

Hayward, meanwhile, said he has gotten a new skills coach this summer after the man he previously worked with, Ed Schilling, left Hayward’s native Indianapolis for a job as a UCLA assistant.

Penciled in as the Jazz’s starting shooting guard, Hayward said he is working on ballhandling and shooting, but also addressing his troubles with finishing at the rim.

I'd think he'd be at the 3.

Quote:
In 2009, Hayward played on the national team that won the FIBA Under-19 World Championship in New Zealand.

"I’ve been lucky enough to play for one of the youth teams," Hayward said. "And there’s nothing like it. Playing in high school and college and the NBA, there’s nothing like playing for your country."

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski declined to comment on the first day performances of individual players because there were so many.

boram@sltrib.comTwitter: @tribjazz
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote