View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Default Re: Summer Pro League prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Pardon my ignorance because I am at a loss of why they are completely different.
Are you saying that SPL is so much inferior? I mean if I am a very good D-Leaguer, I would not only join but compete hard in the SPL because.
1. I want to show case my abilities to all the top personnel INCLUDING NBA Head coaches who are available right now, actually watching the games. I saw guys like Rivers, Carlisle being engaged. Their top assistants are actually coaching the games, seeing first hand how they play and adapt and interact to their respective systems. I can't fathom these head coaches actually being available to scout talent in the middle of the season bec they are usually trying to win games.
2. This is a great opportunity to compete and show how polished my skills are esp against the top collegiate players, most of which were already drafted.
3. Because I believe NBA teams treat this tourney as legit, They spent $$, risking injuries to their top picks etc.
When you said "they", you mean they as in the ones who rated guys like Patrick Beverly, Jeremy Lin low? Im not saying Im better than these guys but I am inferring they are human beings who commit mistakes too.

I'm not sure if inferior is the correct word but it is close. First of all, summer league is only a week. It's a very small sample size. The D-League is an entire season. If you excel for an entire season it's definitely more than just a hot streak. Also, there are plenty of people who have had amazing summer leagues and sucked really bad in the NBA. There's also top college players who have had terrible summer leagues who have went on to have great NBA careers. The two don't really translate. Everybody who watches the summer league realizes this. Dujuan Summers dominated summer league for a couple of seasons. He was nearly the Lebron James of summer league. He couldn't crack the Pistons rotation and he's been having a hard time even staying in the NBA. As for saying if you're a top D-League player why not play.... well because you can't. The summer league is meant for first and second year players. Those are the guys that typically get showcased. The D-League goes beyond that. Gerald Green is a good example of that. I like discussing both the summer league and D-league but they really are two completely different conversations.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote