View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Go to move. picking your spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Rake I find the in and out to cross is a great way to see what kind of a defender you are up against too... one that bites? One that gambles? Or one that just stands there because their footspeed is too slow but they don't want to gamble. Avery in that video just sort of stood there more or less so Tim had to spin off him because he didn't bite on any of the dribble moves. I remember this one kid getting me on that in and out cross so many times though so I really wanted to get it mastered... I haven't yet really but I continue to practice.

I'd say my most comfortable spot is anywhere in triple threat to be honest... especially on the wing. I am patient and use footwork and pumpfakes to try and get the defender to bite... if I doesn't then unless he's really quick I have confidence that I can blow by him because I am comfortable going right or left, spinning if he's able to stay with with me, and then just an array of head/pump fakes to keep them off balance.

As far as dribble moves go... My crossover is pretty effective, but I feel the lowest risk/highest reward dribble is this type of move here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEVn1VUBlE and of course I finish over my opponents in a similar manner. No but honestly I can't tell you how much separation dribbles like that get me at times... I almost can't believe it because it's so basic.
Yeah, the Timmy Hardaway clip is a bad representation of what I do, in retrospect. That play was the influence for what I developed, but I developed it a lot differently. Like I said, I don't do it nearly as smoothly and softly. It's definitely more of a stutter and explode (as opposed to Timmy's one fluid motion in that play). I guess it'd be a little closer to the very first clip here, though again, I think I chop my feet a little more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z0TYef-O1E

Also, props for the MJ live dribble baseline spin. It's never been something I've really been able to utilize with any sort of regularity and effectiveness. In fact, there's really only one time I remember pulling it off - and it was so ugly. Er, maybe the move itself was alright, but I nearly traveled with a high dribble before I even initiated it. 7:21 mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbITKv5OEkQ#t=7m21s

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-21-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote