The BigAss 2nd term thread
View Single Post
08-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Re: The BigAss 2nd term thread
Interesting Pro and Con take on the NSA by the same author.
5 reasons the NSA scandal ain't all that
1. What NSA does with the metadata it collects on Americans is orders of magnitude less intrusive that what other government agencies do with what they collect, than what companies do with what we give them voluntarily and without our knowledge, or what political campaigns profess to know about you by buying data you did not intend for them to see.
2. Many other government agencies do much more to actively degrade American liberty, and they do so without nearly the degree of oversight that NSA subjects itself to internally and externally.
3. Signals intelligence collection is hard to understand, and many, many news outlets, including some of the ones that revealed the documents, came to conclusions that have not stood the test of even a short period of time.
4. The reason why Sens. Ron Wyden and Mark Udall know so much about NSA activities is not because of a whistle-blower. It is because of NSA's evolving self-disclosure.
5. NSA collects foreign intelligence. Its consumers expect to receive such intelligence.
4 reasons the NSA scandal is troubling
1. The NSA is the most powerful single institution in the world.
2. To say that NSA collection does not infringe upon real rights is naive at best.
3. The Director of National Intelligence lied to Congress about whether the NSA collects any information at all in bulk on Americans.
4. NSA's compliance efforts are not sufficient.
View Public Profile
Send a private message to KevinNYC
Find More Posts by KevinNYC