View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 FIBA Africa Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
First of all, thanks for a great thread Grinder and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Yeah, since so many Nigerians live abroad it's not a surprise that we see so many athletes in different sports with Nigerians origins. And Nigerians tend to have great physique. Nigeria is going to be a fun team to watch in the future and I like that Aminu is showing the way by actually being a young starter in the NBA while playing for the NT as well.

True, I've watched a couple of Asian championships and I totally agree. The biggest problem is the the lack of length, a "scrub" Hadadi, by NBA standards, is completely destroying the competition due the lack of tall and skilled players.

Iran seem to be doing pretty fine, their young prodigy Kazemi just got drafted but they sure would have a really tough time against lower quality teams in Europe and against teams in South America.

In Sweden we now have 2 NBA players that play for the NT but still we get destroyed by the powerhouses in Europe.

The one nice thing is that even though they were born and raised in the US, they seem to take pride in representing their parents' country and wearing the national team jersey. In international basketball, I think think that's half the battle.

Haddadi is an interesting case for sure - he clearly has talent and can dominate weaker competition but he's so awkward in his movements and his game is so unrefined that he looks worse than he is.

Swedish basketball is definitely on the upswing. You guys lost most of your preparation games for Eurobasket but it seems like you're developing better prospects every year. Obviously Jerebko and Taylor are the best players but there's two young guys from Barcelona - Marcus Eriksson and Ludvig Hakanson - who are two of the best young players in Europe.

Thanks guys.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote