View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Comparing the 5 Greatest Guards Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
West is my favorite. I'm not talking strictly about Finals, I'm even talking his dip in production play in the playoffs.

Oscar and Wilt, the fugazy / meaningless stat padders. If it wasn't for his 2 rings, LeBron would almost be in this category of loser too.

These numbers and stats tell me who pads in the regular season against average comp. Who balls consistently, no matter the condition. Even if they struggle to get their normal productivity (Kobe) ... he still at least provides it. Which takes mental toughness.

And then it tells me who RAISES their game on GOAT type shit when competition is better, and situations are more pressure filled. This is called the HEART gene. Superhero shit.

MJ and Mr Logo

GOATS gonna GOAT

Yeah, Kobe "still provides it"...yet, he's constantly shooting at mediocre/atrocious percentages in every Finals series and he's a constant liability whenever there's a do or die game. Heart/GOAT stuff my ass.
MJ's 5 of his 7 most prolific scoring series came at first rounds and another one in the ECS. None of them came in the ECF's, when the defenses were at their best. Where were his 40 ppg series against the Pistons? Where were his 55% FG series against them or against prime Knicks?
Even West's best series per season were rarely the Finals. Actually, only in 1969 were definitely the Finals his best series. Again, the "increased scoring" stats lack context, since West missed the Finals in his least productive postseasons (1961, 1967, 1974). Take these 3 postseasons away and the career average ppg increase is marginal (and I'm not sure if there's any increase at all if you adjust for mpg), usually followed by a decrease at shooting percentages.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote