View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
mr beast
BEAST

mr beast has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: look, I suck. How to be improve you confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
That's actually exactly what I had to do. I still get nerves in certain basketball situations but in terms of coming to grips with playing in front of a crowd, my best solution was to not care, or more accurately, pretend and act like I didn't care. It was a "fake it 'til you make it" situation.

I'd qualify this quote a little bit. I think it all depends upon the content of these drills and games. For me, I feel like pickup games are a great opportunity to develop my game. If developing one's game is a puzzle, the drills might be creating the pieces, but actual games is where we put them all together, so I guess I find both aspects necessary to improving. And sometimes, finding how to utilize those pieces in-game can be just as difficult as drilling in those areas. So when done right, I'm a fan of using pickup as a tool for improvement.

yep but the problem is that most people just play pick up only, they never ever work on their game. you wont really get any better by only playing pick up. you should use pick up ball as an evaluation to what is lacking in your game then work on improving that aspect of your game.

even with the above, i do not recommend doing the assessment through pick up. if you are playing organized ball, it's a much better assessment for the two reasons. 1. Referee will likely catch any of your bad habits as a violation 2. Your competition is generally better in a reffed game than a random pick up
mr beast is offline   Reply With Quote