View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Tryouts/Condition/Works Out Start Next Week.

make sure you train hard but also REST!

you central nervous system can only take so much. don't run yourself into the ground or you won't see results. your muscles grow more at rest than they do during exercise.

As a coach these are some things I look for in players:

if you want to stand out, be the guy who sprints back on D, the guy who sprints to fill the wing, the guy who beats his guy down the floor on every play. This is the best way to judge someone's conditioning. If you are able to do this and it doesn't make your offensive game suffer, you are in pretty good shape (or everyone else is in horrible shape, but they wouldn't be in my gym if that was the case )

also I watch for players who have the most actions per defensive possession (deflections, traps, close-outs, etc.). I like to keep track of these things because it can help me judge more effectively who has the highest motor, work-rate, who covers the most ground on the court during each possession. Good defensive players are those that cause havoc when they are close to the ball, and the BEST defensive players are those who not only do that, but are CONSTANTLY around the ball or always actively involved in a defensive stop (blowing up screens, helping the helper, forcing a bad pass out of traps etc.)

Finally, on offense, I look for players who KNOW THEIR STRENGTHS and turn their apparent weaknesses into strengths. For you, you might see your height as a weakness (as would most coaches) but if you know how to use your speed and skill you can actually turn it into your greatest weapon. I would advise to work on your speed but also LATERAL QUICKNESS to show your coach that you understand what your own strengths are and that you are trying to maximize those strengths. So if your coach is looking for a solid back up PG, don't put up 1000 shots a day, do ball-handling/mobility drills, do defensive slide suicides, become exceptional at those aspects of the game that he will expect from the position you are trying out for. Ultimately, this is how I pick my players. I don't need 15 dunkers or 15 shooters, I have roles that need to be exhausted, and certain skills are necessary for those roles. Don't get caught up in trying to beat someone else at what THEY are good at. Use what your coach's expectations are to shape your training and vice versa.

BTW, I'm not saying don't expand your game, you MUST work on all aspects of your game, however, your training regimen must reflect the goals you wish to attain, and if you emphasize everything in training, you emphasize nothing! So have a goal-oriented training program that you set for yourself.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote