View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Sergei Belov Considered Greatest Ever International Player By Many Experts - Died

I had absolutely no clue who Sergei Belov was until about five years ago. It was my last trip to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. A friend was home from California, and he brought a buddy with him, who was a real basketball guy. He had never been east anywhere, so we took him to a few places. Both Fenway and Yankee stadium, as we live in between the two. Took him out for pizza and a few other local delicacies.

But as the week wore on and we couldn't think of much else, I suggested the basketball hall of fame. He was pretty pumped. At the time when you bought your ticket it would be randomly hit with an image of a HOFer. I always hope for Larry Bird, but never get him. The kid actually got Larry, which pissed me off, and then I got my ticket ... Sergei Belov!?!?!? None of us had any idea who he was (and I'm a pretty hardcore basketball guy), and thought it was pretty damn funny that I'd been probably two dozen times and never got the guy I wanted, and now I get this guy none of us had ever heard of.

So we hunted him down in the museum. Read what little they had about him. I found him pretty fascinating, and wound up doing a bunch of internet sluething about him after that.

I guess the point of the story is the Basketball HoF is doing their thing, in that they got me to look into this guy.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote