View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Default Re: Should the Bulls go after Beasley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
If that is logic, then I don't think you and I can have a conversation, lol.

I will try, though, to show why I disagree with that as "logic".

The go-to player (let's say Lebron) faces constant pressure from the defense. This is typically done by putting the other team's best defender on the individual, while also having the rest of the defensive team focusing on said offensive player, so that they may help if and when it is needed. Similarly, the go-to offensive player faces constant pressure from the rest of the offensive team, in that he must score. He must create good looks. He must, he must, he must. That's a lot of pressure.

Now let's contrast that with a non-go-to player (Battier? Chalmers? Bosh?) on the same team. They are typically taking shots without a defensive player draped all over them. These players are able to catch the ball, usually in their comfort zones, and just shoot it, or make a simple "move" and then shoot. And even if there is a player defending them rather well, it's typically a one-on-one scenario, as the rest of the defensive team is not as focused on help defense with this group. Lastly, this group does not (or rather, should not) feel any additional pressure from his team, as that falls, as mentioned, on the primary scorer. This secondary option may shoot and score if open/needed, but doesn't need to feel the pressure to create something. That allows him to pass the ball when things look inefficient and/or bleak.

To bring this back to the Bulls... Rose demands the defensive attention, and the offensive pressure. Beasley would have been one of those players, like Bosh, that is able to pick and choose his places. Hopefully his choice would be one of the highest probability shots, thus giving himself the best opportunity to succeed.

Bosh (in Toronto), Battier (pretty much everywhere), and Chalmers (on the Heat and at Kansas), are all cagey, heady players who have proven themselves to have the type of mettle that can add to a championship team.

Beasley was drafted by the Heat and did not perform well enough for them to even give him a chance to improve. He has been on teams where he had the chance to be a featured scorer, 2nd guy, and complimentary guy and has failed to impress at every turn.

The Bull's offense is not run-and-gun, unless you're #1. Otherwise you will have to get looks within a STRUCTURED offense (with some drive and dish).

-He is a poor shooter percentage wise
-he lacks discipline
-He smokes weed and does not make smart plays (which is not what you want in a spot player)
-he will play behind Deng, Dunleavy, Boozer and Taj.

Those things are what "logically" make me think that he would not be a good move for the BUlls (that and we ave no cap space for him, and what money we have needs to be spent on a RELIABLE scorer or backup center.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote