View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #83
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Quote:
"I know everybody wants these expectations on me, just early on," Burke said. "Iím just going to ... try not to press to play up to them."

Burke entered the game with a set of plays given to him by coach Tyrone Corbin. How many plays, Corbin wouldnít reveal, but he said Burke "did a good job of mixing those plays plus pushing the tempo."

The Jazz invited high expectations of Burke when they sacrificed two first-round picks to move up five spots on draft night to select the consensus national college player of the year with the ninth overall pick. Generally acknowledged as the best point guard in the draft, he was considered to be likely out of the Jazzís range.

When Corbin and general manager Dennis Lindsey first spoke of the acquisition they gushed, as smitten as if they had just been invited to a Sadie Hawkins dance.

Those were the good days, before Burke floundered with a 1-of-19 performance on 3-pointers at the Orlando Pro Summer League and before the reality of NBA competition truly set in. But itís also what growth looks like.

It may not have been encapsulated better than on a sequence of plays in the third quarter, when Burke crossed over Lillard and made a 21-foot fade-away jumper over a fully extended Lillard.

21 foot fade away is the best shot they can get?

Quote:
On the Jazzís next possession, Burke overdribbled and was trapped in the corner by a hyperactive Lillard. Lillard poked and pushed, forcing Burke to turn the ball over. It was one of just two turnovers for Burke, who added five assists ó a ratio the Jazz will gladly take.

On Tuesday, in 101-78 win over Golden State to open the preseason, Burke finished with 12 points in an efficient debut.

Lillard gave Burke far more trouble than any matchup the Warriors presented.

"Heck of a player," Burke said. "You canít take anything away from his scoring ability. Heís a really good scorer, a really good distributor."

The Jazz led early against the Blazers, but a 12-2 run late in the first quarter gave Portland an edge it wouldnít budge from.

Former Jazz guard Mo Williams added 11 points and seven assists in 22 minutes off the bench. Williams, who started 46 games at point guard last season in Utah, serves as the Blazersí sixth man after signing a two-year free agent contract worth $5.6 million in August.

That performance, however, was of passing interest. All eyes are now on the new point guard, not the old one ó who has another big matchup to worry about on Saturday, when Paul leads the Los Angeles Clippers into EnergySolutions Arena.

"I love it that way," Burke said. "Itís going to make me better. Thatís what I expected coming into this league, night in and night out playing against some of the best guards in the world."

boram@sltrib.com
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote