View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #41
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Are Dirk Nowitzki highlights 'impressive' to watch? How about Kevin Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman13
It's not on film, but George Yardley claims his final basket of '58, the one that gave him 2000 points for the year, was a dunk. Russell came into the league a year earlier, and he dunked. Most of what I've read insists that people who could dunk before that chose not to because it was considered an insult and there would be physical retaliation. My dad grew up watching basketball, including those NBA barnstorming games, and he says he never saw it until Russell, though it might have been something that he wouldn't have taken notice of and remembered.

You know what time period of the NBA (and ABA, for that matter) is way under-represented on video? The early 1970s. There must be a bunch of games out there somewhere, but hardly any of them ever get shown, even playoff games. I wish itunes would add more to their Hardwood Classics series. I'd watch anything from the early 80s or earlier if it was made available.
They don't exist most everything was either not recorded at all (more so in the 50's and 60's) or, even if they were recorded they were eventually all wiped and recorded over during that era so film could be recycled and re-used. The NBA didn't actively save broadcasts for posterity until sometime into the Bird and Magic era, that's why everything is so underrepresented from prior to that period of time. Those era's aren't deliberately being treated as less important and therefore not shown, film content and broadcasts from back then literally just doesn't exist anymore. That's why it was such a big deal when the final game of the 1973 NY Knicks vs Lakers Finals was discovered on someone's private 8mm film stash or w/e. The NBA certainly didn't have a copy, neither did any of the networks that broadcast the game.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote