View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #236
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Quote:
who is going to be the point guard for the Utah Jazz when they open their season at EnergySolutions Arena Wednesday night against Oklahoma City?

Coach Tyrone Corbin didnt know for sure Tuesday morning before practice, but said he would decide before the end of the day and everyone will know by opening tipoff.

Its going to be either Lucas, who has stepped into the starting role during preseason after likely starter Burke broke his finger, or Tinsley, a backup and sometimes-starter for the Jazz the past two years, who barely rejoined the team a couple of days ago.

With Trey being out, Jamaal and Lucas are the two guys who are natural point guards who can play, said Corbin. Alec has done it for a short amount of time in the past.

The advantage with Tinsley is that hes been there, done that, having started 33 games for the Jazz the past two years and 399 games in a 10-year NBA career. He also knows the Jazz system, having played for Corbin the past two years.

On the other hand, Lucas has just two starts in his five seasons in the NBA, both in 2011-12 when he was with the Chicago Bulls. However, Lucas has the advantage of playing with the Jazz over the past month and a different looking lineup than the one Tinsley played with the past two years.

Corbin was impressed but not surprised that Tinsley kept in great shape since last season and indicated he wouldnt hesitate to play him this week.

Hes always been a guy that kept himself in good shape, he said. The last couple of years when weve had him here, hes always worked hard and been ready. As far as substantial minutes, well see. Once he gets his legs back under him for a couple of days, we expect him to be ready to go.

Corbin has also been happy with Lucas, who was thrust into the starting role when Burke got hurt earlier this month. Lucas said hes fine with whatever role hes asked to fill.

Its no difference with me, I just go out and play the game of basketball, Lucas said. If I start, its great, if I dont start, its great too. Im going to go out there and play like I have all preseason and getting everybody involved and knocking down the open shots and running the team.

Even though hes four years younger, Lucas says he knows Tinsley from playing against him a bit in the NBA and looks up to him as a fellow former Big 12 player.

Ive played against him hes a Big 12 alum too from Iowa State, Lucas said. I watched him when I was coming into school at Baylor and a lot when I was at Oklahoma State. Coach (Eddie) Sutton said because of my size and the way I played were kind of similar.

As similar as they are, Lucas said he has the edge on Tinsley in one area.

I got a little bit better shot, I think, said with a laugh, before adding, Dont tell JT that.
Yep and that's why I'd start him as much as I like Jamal. Probably a better defender too though Tinsley makes plays defensively. Why I think A Hudson or Jimmer could make more sense too with the offense running through G and Burks.

Quote:
As for Tinsley, he recognizes the team is different with all the young players, who he believes the skys the limit for them and says he wont do anything different this year.
Tinsley said his role is "Just helping these guys get better, and just being the same guy Ive been the last two years here."
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote