View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #33
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Manziel is 6'0" 207 official...1 inch and 3 pounds is hardly "bigger"...and if so than Manziel is "bigger" than Russell Wilson

Anything he lacks in arm strength he makes up for in accuracy in comparison to Vick, I fully expect him to have a better passer rating his first few years than Vick as a Falcon.

Manziel also amassed more rushing yardage in college than Vick... so not sure if that extra speed means that much, Manziel is still VERY fast compared to other QBs

Unfortunately will take 3-4 years before I can say "told ya"
First, I think it's important for me to clarify that I'm not saying Manziel is going to bust. I learned a long time ago not to make predictions like that, especially when it comes to football players. There are so many variables that go into making a great quarterback that we couldn't possibly know at this early stage (you included).

I didn't think Cam Newton was going to be a very good NFL quarterback, for whatever reason. Thinking back, I think I was worried about his release or accuracy issues... I don't quite remember.

But, I do remember the first time I saw him throw a pass in the NFL. I had picked him up late in my FF league and was just curious how he looked and if the gamble was worth it. I knew the first time I saw him throw the ball in the NFL that I was completely wrong and he was going to be a monster. My opinion did a complete 180 that day and I became his biggest advocate, wishing the Browns had a chance at getting him when, months before, I would have been very concerned about drafting him.

There are other examples that I feel like I ended up being right about. Most notably on this site were my very public concerns with taking Trent Richardson at 4 and my huge concerns about giving away too much to move up and get RG3. I still think I'll end up being "right" about that.

But, that day I watched Cam for the first time in the NFL changed the way I shared my own opinion on these guys. You just never know for sure until you see them play on the NFL level, and then everything you thought you knew can be swept away in a quarter if you're not careful.

In short, I've become a lot more humble with my own ability to project these guys. F#ck, I don't know how good Manziel is going to be. If the Browns take him, I hope all of my concerns are washed away as quickly as they were with Cam. I'm not looking to be "right" on my personal evaluation of these guys... just sharing them and curious for feedback.

I just don't like the comparisons with Vick or Wilson. Vick ran a freaking 4.33 at the combine. He was a freak of nature. I see Manziel as a very unique player and that's the biggest thing that scares me, probably.

It's not just his height or weight that scare me... it's the way he's built. It's one thing to be short relative to the position, like Wilson. But, Wilson has a sturdy build, compact.

Manziel is built more like a miniature version of Aaron Rogers and, considering the way he uses his feet, that scares me... the same way I was really worried about RG3's frame despite his measurables looking fine. I feel like a lot of those fears have proven pretty accurate in RG3's case.

I also worry that his on-the-fly, spontaneity may not work out as well in the NFL as it did in college. I saw a lot of running around and throwing the ball up for grabs at Texas A&M. He won't be able to play that way in the NFL.

I'm not saying he can't adapt, but it's a concern.

But, again... I'm not smug enough to dismiss the possibility that my opinion will do another 180-degree turn, as has happened in the past.

So I don't really see this as me vs. you. I see it as me having a lot of concerns about Manziel and you having less.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 02-22-2014 at 08:09 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote