View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #611
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
When he was a kid, Trey Burke looked up to smaller point guards like Iverson and Chris Paul.

For a while, the much-younger Burke even had a hairstyle similar to Iverson's.

"I had braids when I was younger," Burke admitted. "But, man, I was too tender-headed. My mom would braid my hair and it would hurt too bad, so I ended up starting to get haircuts."

Burke, who grew up to be 6-1, continued to try to emulate some of the 6-foot Iverson's crafty and creative game.

"(Iverson) was a guy that I watched a lot. I think I did imitate him a lot at a young age," Burke said. "He was one of those guys who was just a special player, his size and he was able to score on pretty much anybody."

While his shooting percentage has dipped to 37.1 percent, Burke is working on trying to become more effective at scoring near the basket a la Iverson.

37% is very AI like.

Quote:
But it wasn't just Iverson's scoring prowess that impressed Burke.

"He had that competitive nature and that killer instinct," the 21-year-old said. "I think that allowed my love for the game to grow, too, just to see a guy that small you could tell he was having fun out there, but at the same time competing."

Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin would love it if Burke, with a similar slim and small frame, continued to try to match the "tough, tough" Iverson's level of offensive explosiveness and his gritty, determined style.

"I thought he was one of the toughest little guys in this league. I think that (he could) learn from that toughness and the way that Allen could finish at the rim. He could create contact," Corbin said. "There's a lot of good things in the comparison, if you want to compare them, that he could take and put in his game."

Corbin waited for a moment and smiled as he added, "But he'd have to practice."

Yes, he's talking about that.

I hope he's smarter than AI.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote