Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Knicks Working on JJ Redick Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    It makes sense because Orlando is rebuilding and doesn't particularly need average players in the middle of their careers while NY is trying to win right now and Reddick will contribute as a starter or a reserve whereas Shumpert is an undeveloped young player coming back from an injury, more useful to a team that is losing in the present and looking towards the future.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I don't see the humor.

I don't see the humor.

What does Redick really offer? For our team, I mean?

What JR offers? A better pure shooter tho...we shoot enough. He's a better offensive player than Shumpert is, but he can't play Shump's D. The Knicks are not desperate to win the title this year...not in any kind of "at all costs" way.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115

What JR offers? A better pure shooter tho...we shoot enough. He's a better offensive player than Shumpert is, but he can't play Shump's D. The Knicks are not desperate to win the title this year...not in any kind of "at all costs" way.
    Neither can Shump anymore.

Banned

You guys don't have anybody who moves well without the ball; screens, backdoor cuts, etc. Redick is one of the best at doing moving without the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Neither can Shump anymore.

The playoffs are two months away.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    You guys don't have anybody who moves well without the ball; screens, backdoor cuts, etc. Redick is one of the best at doing moving without the ball.

I actually think Smith moves pretty well off the ball. He's probably just being asked to do too much.

Amare is an elite off the ball player...You could argue that we're more lacking on the perimeter, but Redick is not worth Shump, not for us...not when he's expiring.

NBA rookie of the year

It's a gamble for sure. Reddick is better than Shumpert right now, who is contributing next to nothing. But Reddick is probably as good as he's ever going to be, and Shumpert might have some development in front of him.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Shump is currently playing Shump's D for 19 minutes per game. Trading a guy that might be the 4th-best guard on your roster isn't the big deal you think it is. Roleplayers come and go, I kid you not. I do understand your attachment to your team's young player but he's done nothing to justify your belief in him. There's a reason why you hear him discussed attached to players like Redick and Jared Dudley. The only funny thing here is how some of you Knick fans overrate this guy. And even amongst Knick fans I've noticed a number of you that know he's not untouchable.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

I know Reddick is a better player and to be honest I've hardly seen any games since Shump has been back, but the one thing Shump brings to our team that noone else does is perimeter defense.

He's the only one on our team we can put on guys like Wade, Rose etc and hope to slow them down a bit. I'm really torn on if I'd want this trade to go down.

Can someone school me on JJ's defense?

Shump is currently playing Shump's D for 19 minutes per game. Trading a guy that might be the 4th-best guard on your roster isn't the big deal you think it is. Roleplayers come and go, I kid you not. I do understand your attachment to your team's young player but he's done nothing to justify your belief in him. There's a reason why you hear him discussed attached to players like Redick and Jared Dudley. The only funny thing here is how some of you Knick fans overrate this guy. And even amongst Knick fans I've noticed a number of you that know he's not untouchable.

There isn't a single person who rates him higher than I do. But I don't rate him as a great player. More than a role player, absolutely. He can rebound a bit, he's a good passer, he can handle the ball and help run the offense. He also has legit scoring ability.

He hasn't come close at all to being great in any of these facets, much less has he come close to putting it all together. He was a great rookie and has been back for 10 games or so. He's playing 19 minutes a game after 9 month absence. He came back pretty early and he's still getting back. He also cut some weight and is adjusting to being smaller and to having less body than before. It's going to take time. There's a good chance that he won't be what he was last season, at any point this season.

But he'll be better next season. Smaller contract, signed thru two more seasons, great defender, glue guy, and a higher ceiling than Redick. Shump has more than role player quality. A lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    Can someone school me on JJ's defense?

The guy plays hard. That's never a problem. He's not a particularly good defender but he ain't too bad either. He'll always give 100% tho.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Redick didn't look good tonight. Those rumors must've made him nervous.

I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Tyler Hansbrough on this team instead.

I like the trade. He's a more consistent shooter than any of the players we have outside of Novak. Everyone else is too streaky