Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to Business

Default rim jumps increase vertical?

i heard sum people saying they can increase your vertical.any know if its true?

jumping to touch rim or tryin to and soon as u land jump straight back up.

Serious playground baller

Default Re: rim jumps increase vertical?

That's a basic plyometric exercise, if you have a strenght base yes it will increase your vertical.

Yes it can, but remember... every human has a limit to their genetical capability (whether it is vertical, muscle size, height, whatever), some of it can be increased but all of it has a limit which is different from person to person, if you are 18 and have played/worked out with an orgainized basketball club a couple of years you will see your "vertical jump limit" right there... its no secret, its no nothing, its just a GIFT that reveals itself immediately & naturally... you can work harder on that area than even Michael Jordan ever did and you may not even get half the vertical he had...

So what i would suggest is, grab a ball/balls instead and work on your handling, footwork etc. and/or shooting... dont waste your time with trying to increase your vertical... use that time to increase your skills instead, there there is NO LIMIT...
    Last edited by pauk; 12-21-2012 at 03:11 PM.

if your legs are strong enough, yes.

if your legs are weak then all you wil be doing is working reactive strength. you will get off the floor quicker and more often but not necessarily higher

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

So what i would suggest is, grab a ball/balls instead and work on your handling, footwork etc. and/or shooting... dont waste your time with trying to increase your vertical... use that time to increase your skills instead, there there is NO LIMIT...

X2

I'm ~5'9" and have pretty strong legs from years of lifting. My vertical has been as 36" but lately I've been trying to stay low to the ground. The high I jump the more often I get injured.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    X2

I'm ~5'9" and have pretty strong legs from years of lifting. My vertical has been as 36" but lately I've been trying to stay low to the ground. The high I jump the more often I get injured.

Wow a 36 inch vertical?

I bet u can dunk from all over the court! Windmills,reverses,between the legs,tomahawks

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

squats and deadlifts brah

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1
    Wow a 36 inch vertical?

I bet u can dunk from all over the court! Windmills,reverses,between the legs,tomahawks

Nope, at the time I was really into lifting weights but didn't play basketball at all. I could grab the rim but could never dunk. I know your being sarcastic but my comment wasn't meant to sound braggy I was just saying (but not very clearly) that jumping is somewhat overrated. When my vertical was at it's highest I was a gym (weight room) rat with on a really good diet. Now I am a good bit older, don't lift as hard or as heavy and am carrying some extra body fat but I think I am a better player now. Not great just better than I was. Having a decent vertical didn't help me that much because I have a pretty short wingspan and an overall reach of less than 7.5 feet.

Players today seem to only be worried about how high they jump and how far out they can shoot

ISH Jump Crew

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    squats and deadlifts brah
    This. Did this throughout high school trying to obtain vertical. Senior year I could dunk pretty easily just from mostly strength. Off two feet, with 2 hands. 17-18 year old, 5'11" white kid. I think I was squatting around 300 for reps, and actually going ass to grass.

Sure, genetics play a role.. but you can do a lot more than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo
    This. Did this throughout high school trying to obtain vertical. Senior year I could dunk pretty easily just from mostly strength. Off two feet, with 2 hands. 17-18 year old, 5'11" white kid. I think I was squatting around 300 for reps, and actually going ass to grass.

Sure, genetics play a role.. but you can do a lot more than you think.

I think traditional squats and deadlifts tend to create two foot jumpers. When I was younger I could jump much higher off one but wasn't very explosive jumping off two. After not playing basketball for years and just lifting I could jump higher off two from a stand still than I could off one running.

Back to Business

I think traditional squats and deadlifts tend to create two foot jumpers. When I was younger I could jump much higher off one but wasn't very explosive jumping off two. After not playing basketball for years and just lifting I could jump higher off two from a stand still than I could off one running.

how did u increase your 1 foot jumping ability?

don't know about him but here are some good exercises

Strengrh
    bulgarian split squats (off small step for added depth)
    1 leg Dumbbell RDLs

Plyos
    step-up jumps
    one leg bounds

work that into your leg workout to increase both your unilateral strength and coordination.

Also to be a good 1 foot jumper you'll need great core strength (but in general to be able to jump high you'll need this anyways)

Also a good basketball drill to work in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MH1NhilGZ4 starting at :50
    if you can't dunk try and get as high as you can on each. can be done from different angles as well.

I really didn't do anything to increase my 1 foot jumping. When I was younger and played a good bit I didn't lift, when I started lifting I didn't play. Now I'm too old to care how high I can jump lol. The exercises listed above are good though, unilateral exercises not only help with one foot jumping but they are also good for your knees and ankles. My favorite is 1 leg bench squat. Stand on a bench with one leg squat down until your heal touches the floor then back up.

ISH Jump Crew

I agree completely. I guess it doesn't really matter, but I find jumping off two feet more fun and powerful though. I'm going to pick it back up, but I'm in the military now and bigger legs is not that fun for runs.

Also, if all you care about is getting up, and not how, lifting weights is a lot more easy to measure and predict gains. Like I know that if I add 30 pounds to my squat, I'll be jumping an inch or two higher. It's a little different with plyos as in I believe it's hard to say "do this many jumping exercises, this much sprinting, etc... and you will gain 2 inches on your vert."

Very good NBA starter

i heard sum people saying they can increase your vertical.any know if its true?

jumping to touch rim or tryin to and soon as u land jump straight back up.

yup, one of my favorite workouts back in the day...

it's easy. it's free. and it works.