Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Being "smooth" on the court

Again, don't base your game in other guys game. Create your own style, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    Again, don't base your game in other guys game. Create your own style, really.
    Im not trying to base it on other ppls game I just want to add my own style to it. Reinvent it and make it suitable for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    Im not trying to base it on other ppls game I just want to add my own style to it. Reinvent it and make it suitable for myself.
    Why can't you create your own?

Why can't you create your own?

well there is no way to create the crossover because it was already created thats why I want to add my style to it. I want it to be smooth doesn't have to be exactly like Kobe's but I want to model it after that.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

well there is no way to create the crossover because it was already created thats why I want to add my style to it. I want it to be smooth doesn't have to be exactly like Kobe's but I want to model it after that.
    It's true that in effect, you're always going to be similar to another player. There's so many different styles of games that 2 people are always going to have some similarities in their game. What I think Maga is trying to say is that you can learn and try and utilize Kobe's crossover, but only learn it. Once you start mimicking it and using it completely (as in you always use it because it's your move), then you start to be robotic.

Take Kobe's crossover but do it your own way. That's how you become "smooth" or natural on the court, when you flow your own way. If I tried hard to copy say Kevin Durant's game, I'd obviously look much more jerky than him because he does what works for him. Do what works for you, not what you "want to do". I put that in quotes because sometimes you see people who "want to do" Allen Iverson's crossover, which means they copy it as best as they can. They'd be much more effective if they did it their own way, because unless you do it your own way, you won't be as comfortable as you can be, which means you won't look as natural/smooth as you can be.

Here's a video of Ryan Harrow, he's a PG and he has an excellent handle. You might want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-BbVFvfRQ

Carpevicis is right, that's what i'm trying to say.
    See the example, but do in your own way

Yea thats what I wanted to do learn how to do it and add my own style. Like when I learned the between the legs quick cross I also added a behind the back crossover kind of like the Tim Hardaway just behind the back. I just need to execute it in a smoother fashion. But I understand what you guys are saying.

dedicate

practice practice practice

you aint gona be smooth over night, your cross over is not gona "flow" just because you add style to it

As long as you can get by your defender and score, nobody is gona care how ugly it is except you

to be smooth in terms of fluid motion, you'll need to be flexible and comfortable with what you are doing, it needs to be almost second nature.

the only other times where i saw people who are smooth without the above is when their offensive footwork are clearly head and shoulder above their defender's defensive footwork

some tips for you:

use and turn your entire body when doing the cross over. it's a change of direction move, you are not just simply changing dribbling hand and going straight

do it slower, if you dont got the fundamentals to do it with speed then you need to perfect it in slower motion first

mix it up with other moves such as hesitation, double crosses....etc, if you cant get by your defender with 1 cross or move, then mix it up with a string of moves as counters against good defense

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

let the game come to you

Saw a basketball once jerzymade's Avatar

look at joe johnson he has a smooth game a smooth game is someone that doesnt rush. He has a slowed down type of game. Examples james harden, joe johnson, brandon roy and kevin durant. When they get the ball they never do a thousand fakes to get to no where they analyze their opponent and help d then attack.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzymade
    look at joe johnson he has a smooth game a smooth game is someone that doesnt rush. He has a slowed down type of game. Examples james harden, joe johnson, brandon roy and kevin durant. When they get the ball they never do a thousand fakes to get to no where they analyze their opponent and help d then attack.
    Nice post.
    But mainly JJ and B Roy.

Saw a basketball once jerzymade's Avatar

Nice post.
    But mainly JJ and B Roy.
    thanks. I understand what your talking about though because alot of the older guys said i had a smooth game and idk what they meant. I guess i was just born like that but i think you shouldn't try to adjust your game to play like somebody be yourself on the court and do what your capable of and everything will be fine.

I learned that u can be quick but never in a hurry (I think dats how it goes) so that really helped my game fkow better and like someone said to just play free and instinctively

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

I learned that u can be quick but never in a hurry (I think dats how it goes) so that really helped my game fkow better and like someone said to just play free and instinctively
    Yeah, I think that is probably the best definition of smooth you can get. Urgent but not rushed, and always under control.

National High School Star

try other sports. it'll improve your coordination, balance and footwork.

try using your off-hand in doing simple stuff like using the remote, opening doors etc

mix it up, keep your opponent guessing. change pace instead of out-running your opponent