Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alcindor and Robertson VS Kareem and Magic

2 on 2, who wins?

Alcindor is 23 years old and oscar 32... Kareem 32 and Magic 23

Also if you were to build a team around one pair being the ages I said, who do you go with?

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Alcindor and Robertson VS Kareem and Magic

Magic to me. Jabbar wasn't as fast as he was like 10 years older naturally. His offense had shrunk.
    I'm still takin Johnson's team.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

The one with Magic for both questions. KAJ has another solid, what, 6-7 years?

I am your soldier!

Lew and O for both questions.

I'll go with Kareem and Magic. They were on another level

2 on 2, who wins?

Alcindor is 23 years old and oscar 32... Kareem 32 and Magic 23
    This is a bit unfair, because Kareem and Magic never were teammates as a 32 and 23 year old at the same time. Kareem was 32 in 1979-80, Magic was 23 in 1983.

Anyway, it can go both ways. 70's Kareem is more athletic and obviously with more stamina in defense and rebounding, 80's Kareem more refined and playing smarter. Oscar had a better scoring repertoire than Magic. Both could average more ppg than their numbers indicate. Magic is more athletic at those ages. Passing is close and it doesn't matter that much in 2 on 2 situations.

In the end, it would be hard for Magic and Oscar to drive, and both would probably prefer to feed "Kareems". If any of them is doubled, both Magic and Oscar can hit the mid range, with Oscar having some advantage due to having quicker release. But I still think it depends on which version of Kareem gets the upper hand.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I'd take the Young Kareem and Big O. Magic has the height advantage over Oscar and youth..but that's all. Oscar was still a capable scorer and better mid range shooter. Passing they are about equal, Magic is just more flashy. Older Kareem is smarter, but the athletic and more aggressive Kareem would be harder to contain.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    This is a bit unfair, because Kareem and Magic never were teammates as a 32 and 23 year old at the same time. Kareem was 32 in 1979-80, Magic was 23 in 1983.

Anyway, it can go both ways. 70's Kareem is more athletic and obviously with more stamina in defense and rebounding, 80's Kareem more refined and playing smarter. Oscar had a better scoring repertoire than Magic. Both could average more ppg than their numbers indicate. Magic is more athletic at those ages. Passing is close and it doesn't matter that much in 2 on 2 situations.

In the end, it would be hard for Magic and Oscar to drive, and both would probably prefer to feed "Kareems". If any of them is doubled, both Magic and Oscar can hit the mid range, with Oscar having some advantage due to having quicker release. But I still think it depends on which version of Kareem gets the upper hand.

How do you see it as unfair when at either age they were both teammates? But anyways I agree with what you said, it comes down to which version of Kareem plays better.... It'd be interesting to see how Oscar would attack Magic offensively with how big he is

Who would you rather build around?

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Magic to me. Jabbar wasn't as fast as he was like 10 years older naturally. His offense had shrunk.
    I'm still takin Johnson's team.
    How do you think Oscar would of handled Magic? Obviously it would of been a battle, but if I'm not mistaken you've probably seen more Oscar than anyone here

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    I'd take the Young Kareem and Big O. Magic has the height advantage over Oscar and youth..but that's all. Oscar was still a capable scorer and better mid range shooter. Passing they are about equal, Magic is just more flashy. Older Kareem is smarter, but the athletic and more aggressive Kareem would be harder to contain.
    I agree with you, Oscar and Alcindor would probably win.....But the size advantage Magic has makes it a bit tricky.....

Other than team accomplishments I don't understand why they're so far apart in peoples all time rankings

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    How do you see it as unfair when at either age they were both teammates? But anyways I agree with what you said, it comes down to which version of Kareem plays better.... It'd be interesting to see how Oscar would attack Magic offensively with how big he is

Who would you rather build around?
    "Unfair" in the sense that the first duo, "32 y.o Oscar + 23 y.o Kareem", was real (1971), while the second one, chronologically, is a bit off (that's 1979 or 1980 Kareem+1983 Magic), not that I didn't see the point in switching their ages.

Obviously I'd build around the 80's duo, old Oscar doesn't have as dominant and long a future as old Kareem.

Edit: Except if you mean build for a single season. Maybe still the 80's squad, if Oscar remains an ass towards his teammates, although, to be honest, I've never heard many such complaints from his Bucks' teammates.
    The 70's duo though was real and we know what they did together: 66-16 + 12+2.
    But this is in case we pretend this is a different team we're building here.
    Last edited by Psileas; 05-25-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Big O & Alcindor, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    "Unfair" in the sense that the first duo, "32 y.o Oscar + 23 y.o Kareem", was real (1971), while the second one, chronologically, is a bit off (that's 1979 or 1980 Kareem+1983 Magic), not that I didn't see the point in switching their ages.

Obviously I'd build around the 80's duo, old Oscar doesn't have as dominant and long a future as old Kareem.

Edit: Except if you mean build for a single season. Maybe still the 80's squad, if Oscar remains an ass towards his teammates, although, to be honest, I've never heard many such complaints from his Bucks' teammates.
    The 70's duo though was real and we know what they did together: 66-16 + 12+2.
    But this is in case we pretend this is a different team we're building here.
    I'm a huge fan of Magic, but the reality was, that '71 Buck team has a case as the greatest ever, or at the very least, a top-5 team of all-time. Their ppg differentials, both in the regular season and playoffs; and their FG% differentials, both regular season, and post-season, were just staggering. And had they not coasted in their last six games of the regular season (when they were 65-11), and they likely would have won 70 games and set a ppg differential that would have blown away the '72 Lakers and '96 Bulls.

Not only that, but I still say that that was a PEAK Kareem, who not only was unstoppable offensively, but who also anchored the best defense in the league.

THAT Kareem ranks right at the top, with anyone else who has ever played the game. Even a past-his-prime Oscar would be enough to win that "H2H" battle.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    I'm a huge fan of Magic, but the reality was, that '71 Buck team has a case as the greatest ever, or at the very least, a top-5 team of all-time. Their ppg differentials, both in the regular season and playoffs; and their FG% differentials, both regular season, and post-season, were just staggering. And had they not coasted in their last six games of the regular season (when they were 65-11), and they likely would have won 70 games and set a ppg differential that would have blown away the '72 Lakers and '96 Bulls.

Not only that, but I still say that that was a PEAK Kareem, who not only was unstoppable offensively, but who also anchored the best defense in the league.

THAT Kareem ranks right at the top, with anyone else who has ever played the game. Even a past-his-prime Oscar would be enough to win that "H2H" battle.
    Like I said to La Frescobaldi, how do you think Oscar would of handled magic on the offensive end? Obviously with the size difference defensively Magic would be a problem for him....But to me the more interesting question is how he'd do with his style of play.....He loved backing guys down to his spots, but would have trouble like anyone would with that style against someone a bit bigger....Oscar being around 6'4, Magic 6'7.....
    Maybe it wouldn't be as big of a problem as I'm thinking, considering Oscar probably had trouble but more than held his own against Gus

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Like I said to La Frescobaldi, how do you think Oscar would of handled magic on the offensive end? Obviously with the size difference defensively Magic would be a problem for him....But to me the more interesting question is how he'd do with his style of play.....He loved backing guys down to his spots, but would have trouble like anyone would with that style against someone a bit bigger....Oscar being around 6'4, Magic 6'7.....
    Maybe it wouldn't be as big of a problem as I'm thinking, considering Oscar probably had trouble but more than held his own against Gus

Oscar would get his, and so would Magic. At least Oscar would have had a defensive beast behind him, where as Magic's Kareem would not have been nearly as much help.