Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default #54 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Nate Thurmond was voted the #53 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops.

14.5 PPG | 14.5 RPG | 2.6 APG

Banned

Default Re: #54 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Pau Gasol

-2x NBA Champion (2009, 2010)
    -Led 2010 Lakers to the championship as the best player
    -4 x NBA Allstar
    -18.7 PPG, 9.2 RPG 3.2 APG career numbers
    -3 All NBA teams
    -Two silver medals as the best player
    -One of the most skilled bigmen of all-time
    -Made the cover of the NBA video game in Spain

Reggie Miller....

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiThrice
    -Made the cover of the NBA video game in Spain

Anyway.... Ray Allen.

Reggie Miller will be my choice.

Billy Cunningham next.

By all objective measures, Ray Allen has had a better career than Reggie Miller.

We're talking about a 10 time all star who was once top 10 in MVP voting, was consistent with a peak of 26 points per game (and more assists/rebounds, with some great statistical playoff runs in the mid 00s), has a championship and is widely regarded as the best 3 point shooter of all time while still being recognized as more than a one-dimensional player.

In contrast, Reggie Miller is a 5 time all star who was at best considered the 13th most valuable player in the league, has no championship and whose accomplishments from downtown have been statistically surpassed by Allen even though those were really his only noteworthy accomplishments aside from a few memorable clutch games.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    By all objective measures, Ray Allen has had a better career than Reggie Miller.

We're talking about a 10 time all star who was once top 10 in MVP voting, was consistent with a peak of 26 points per game (and more assists/rebounds, with some great statistical playoff runs in the mid 00s), has a championship and is widely regarded as the best 3 point shooter of all time while still being recognized as more than a one-dimensional player.

In contrast, Reggie Miller is a 5 time all star who was at best considered the 13th most valuable player in the league, has no championship and whose accomplishments from downtown have been statistically surpassed by Allen even though those were really his only noteworthy accomplishments aside from a few memorable clutch games.

Oh please! Ray Allen was in a weaker SG era which allowed him extra all-star selections, Reggie had MUCH nastier competition at the SG spot, he had to battle that all-star spot with Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Glen Rice, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullin, Dale Ellis, Joe Dumars, Dan Majerle, Latrell Sprewell, Allan Houston, Reggie Lewis and so on... all players that would have more or less kept Ray Allen out of the all-star game at certain seasons..... the last time Ray Allen was selected to the all-star game was 2011, averaging 16 ppg... no way in hell he would have been in all-star during Reggies era... not to mention Reggie would have been another guy that would had battled that spot with Ray Allen.......... Ray Allen had majority of time only Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade to battle with..... who else? And its not because he was so good, but because the caliber of SGs were extremly much weaker overall in 00s and today...... During Reggies time even guys like Drazen Petrovic (who averaged 22-3-4 @ 52% FG, 45% 3PT, 87% FT) went completely unnoticed in the all-star selection department...

2nd of all.... Ray Allen was not the player Reggie Miller was.... the intangibles, killer instinct, legacy, longevity, consistency and character which no on paper awards or statistics can measure is what sepparates Reggie from Ray.... The name Reggie Miller is synonymous with clutch...... He was a guy that lived for the biggest moments and made the biggest moments....

As Reggie Miller put it: "You might make your first 10 shots and everything is going great, but when the game is on the line, those other 10 don't mean anything."

There are 6 things he is in argument for being the most successful at:

1. Shooter
    2. Clutch performer
    3. Competitor
    4. Greatest Pacer ever
    5. Greatest of the ball/screen player ever
    6. Work Ethic

Reggie’s loyalty to the Pacers organization is one of the things people often overlook. Only John Stockton and Karl Malone (with Utah) played more games with one franchise than Reggie did with Indiana...

Reggie played 1,389 games. He owned that Indiana city, even more so than Peyton Manning did during his tenure there... He was the best perimeter shooter that this game has ever seen and one of the greatest clutch shooters of all-time.... He knew he was a marked man and he relished it, especially in the big stage....

Over the span of his 18 years with Indiana he has hit some kindof clutch shot in every close game... If there is any gamewinner count out there that dates way back dont be surprised if Reggie Miller as at #1 on that list.... If the basketball term "clutch" was in the dictionary then Reggie Millers picture would be next to it....

He was also a nasty competitor with the confidence of GOD and legendary trashtalking (which he always backed up) which created historic NBA drama and memories.... He could get into peoples heads like no other and once he did he would play mind tricks, he was even the only one that ever got under Jordans skin and not only once....

Jordan said: “I really don’t dislike playing against anybody in the league, but playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts.”

There is a reason this hall of famer was Michael Jordans biggest nemesis at the SG spot....

While many players hated Reggie during their playing days, they all respected him. Kobe Bryant said Reggie was the toughest player he has ever had to guard. I’m sure there are plenty of others that would agree........ and keep in mind that Kobe has played against Michael Jordan...

A Hall of Fame career is about more than how many Championship rings you have. Robert Horry has seven of them, and Adam Morrison has two. I’ll leave it at that. Who is to say Dan Marino is less of a player because he never won a Super Bowl? Sometimes people need to take a step back and look at the whole product, instead of just focusing on one piece of it.....

Reggie at his prime would have torched Ray Allen and broke that kid down mentally all the time... and after that game he would be ready to face other shooters who were even better than Ray Allen as competitors or shooters aswell like Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullin, Glen Rice, Drazen Petrovic, Dale Ellis etc...

During Reggies time Ray Allen would have not even been honored as the shooter he is/was... those players came in a dozen at Reggies time (and many were even better shooters than Ray)....... he would battle that honor with Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Glen Rice, Mitch Richmond, Dell Curry, Dale Ellis, Mark Price, Drazen Petrovic, Jeff Hornacek just to name a few....... today he got only what? Steve Nash? Dirk maybe? lol...........

Ray and Reggie are similar in the way they shoot/play (for at least 3 quarters and regular season) as SGs, but they are different imo, the intangibles/killer instinct/mind Reggie possessed make them two COMPLETELY different players.... and something which in my opinion makes Reggie better than Ray Allen.... its popular to say Ray Allen was a better ballhandler, passer but that there is nowhere close in significant difference, i mean not something that made him impact the game better than what Reggies intangibles/killer instinct/mind did.....

Seriously, Ray Allen is starting to get overrated............. hell even the screen/of the ball tricks/moves is what he himself said to have studied/stolen from Reggie.... he lives his entire life just to throw as many 3's as possible just to get that record at least, he had Reggie and that record in mind all the time, immediately running to him and emotionally hugging him at the scorers table once he broke that record..... Reggie is the man, Ray Allen is the pupile...
    Last edited by pauk; 10-02-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Ray Allen

Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Ray Allen

Put them two in a Playoff series... and then you will see the ridicilous difference...

Infact, they did play 1 playoff series against eachother, guess what happened? Reggie humiliated him.... here is some highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eOuUO0lif4

Reggie was THE better player and SHOOTER (in any department), i couldnt care less for how sexy Rays jumpshot looks visually or how many championship rings he got as a 3rd/4th best player in his team (or whatever) or how many all-star selections he got in a SG weakened era or how much more FGs he chucked from the 3PT line to beat his record...

Funny part is i absolutely adore Ray Allen... but when people say "Ray > Reggie", somebody is getting overrated/underrated or somebody doesnt know the context of their careers and them as players enough...
    Last edited by pauk; 10-02-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

Put them two in a Playoff series... and then you will see the ridicilous difference...

Infact, they did play 1 playoff series against eachother, guess what happened? Reggie humiliated him.... here is some highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eOuUO0lif4

Reggie was THE better player and SHOOTER (in any department), i couldnt care less for how sexy Rays jumpshot looks visually or how many championship rings he got as a 3rd/4th best player in his team (or whatever) or how many all-star selections he got in a SG weakened era or how much more FGs he chucked from the 3PT line to beat his record...

Funny part is i absolutely adore Ray Allen... but when people say "Ray > Reggie", somebody is getting overrated/underrated or somebody doesnt know the context of their careers and them as players enough...

You actually make a few good points

I was going to vote for Reggie next, i just feel Allen is a spot higher..
    Rays had some big playoff moments and game winners aswell. Plus being the all time leader in 3s, career longevity, NBA champion (he was 2nd/3rd best that yr in Boston)... Not counting the ones your boy might win for Ray in the future

Always been a fan of Rays game. He wasnt always a spot up shooter, he was a beast on the Bucks and Sonics... I think he was underutilised in Boston personally...

Actually this is a pretty cool Reggie mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dacOF...eature=related

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Oh please! Ray Allen was in a weaker SG era which allowed him extra all-star selections, Reggie had MUCH nastier competition at the SG spot
    People nobody will even remember were named all stars by the coaches over reggie. Guys like Mookie Blaylock and Dana Barros. Kenny Anderson. Terrell Brandon. An older Joe dumars.

The only two seasons in 19 years he got MVP votes...Smits got exactly the same number in one and Jalen Rose tied him in the other. Reggie just was not thought highly of. Hes gonna win. But there will probably be 35 players after this flat out better at the game.

He will win off his name. Nothing more. Huge name. But its...whatever. People voted Gary Payton 28th last time....

These things happen.

Reggie Miller over Kevin Durant approaches the dumbest thing I can conceive a basketball fan actually believing. Not like in his near 20 years he actually did something Durant didnt. Lost in a finals and was all nba 3rd team twice.

Reggie as his best was maybe approaching second year Kevin Durant.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 10-02-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Banned

I vote Lebron

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

Sam Jones