Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Michael Jackson's prime?

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    L Kizzle has a damn good list( no real issues except Joe Tex )
    I beg your pardon!

Joe Tex Show Live

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    I beg your pardon!

Joe Tex Show Live
    You already have James Brown on the list so need to list a hack who's copying him move for move. "Hold on to What You Got" is an absolute R&B classic & Tex has a few novelty stuff like Skinny Legs & Bump no more ,but top 10 all time performer?........

Updating my list for Heilige without boring him with Jazz

Songwriters:

Ashford & Simpson
    Lionel Richie
    Sam Cooke
    Strong/Whitfield/Holland/Dozier
    Allen Toussaint/Professor Longhair
    Stevie Wonder
    Prince
    Willie Dixon

Singers:
    Mahalia Jackson
    Sarah Vaughn
    Sam Cooke
    Marvin Gaye
    Luther Vandross
    Whitney Houston
    Aretha Franklin
    Ray Charles

Very good NBA starter

whenever thriller was

You already have James Brown on the list so need to list a hack who's copying him move for move. "Hold on to What You Got" is an absolute R&B classic & Tex has a few novelty stuff like Skinny Legs & Bump no more ,but top 10 all time performer?........
    I'm surprised you don't know the history of JB and Tex.

This goes all the way back to 1956, when James Brown and hos Famous Flames were the newest artist at the King label. Joe Tex had actually been signed by Syd Nathan a whole year earlier.

Upon there first few meetings, that had a battle on a radio station and a dance-off at a local club, which Joe Tex reportedly won both. They were not only label mates, but became good friends at that time. They usually performed on the same bill, opening up for the likes of Little Richard and Little Willie John (another King label mate.) Tex was let go sometime in 1957, he left hit-list (though he said he wrote "Fever" for Little Willie John but had to sell it to pay his rent.) James was not far behind, he only had one his, his first "Please" and wasn't close to a hit since.

Around this time, JB started to be known more and more for his show ... Tex accused him of stealing his moves. Most notably his mic tricks. Years later in 1960, Joe finally had a chart hit (barley) and JB was becoming a top dog on the R&B charts. JB had a show in Texas in 1959, Joe's home. Joe went to visit him backstage, and he gave him a song he released that year which went no where, "Baby, You're Right." JB put his name on the credits, released it and was one of his biggest early hits.

A year later, JB is touring Texas again. Joe visits backstage again and was shocked to find his ex-wife in James dressing room. JB said he didn't know Joe and Bea Ford were married. JB even put her on his show, and she was featured on a charting single in 1960.

Joe heard rumblings of JB not treating Bea good, and it was true. Once JB was finished with her, he kicked her out the tour (added Yvonne Fair) and even sent a telegram to Joe telling him he could have her back. Joe wasn't to fond of that and made maybe the first diss record titled "You Keep Her" where he calls JB out by name.

Joe Tex: You Keep Her

Someone had the great idea of putting Joe Tex in a homecoming bill for Jams Brown in Augusta, GA in 1963. When Joe hit the stage he let James have it, he did his whole act and for "Please" he purposely got himself tangled in a cape. JB didn't like that one bit. After the show he got word of where Joe was, down at a little bar where Otis Redding was performing. He let some rounds off at Joe.

Years passed by again, Joe had a hit on the charts. JB was huge in the late 60s, even owning a few radio stations. Tex accused JB of not spinning his records on various stations. Tex went as far as putting "The Original Soul Brother #1" on his tour bus.

More on Redding, I found a picture of his funeral where Tex is a Paul bearer and James is also there. It looks as if they lock eyes.

It was said the faulty plane Otis died in, he purchased from James Brown.

   

sorry if this was posted before, but i just saw this... the story behind michael jackson's cool anti-gravity shoes invention:
    http://izismile.com/2013/07/16/micha...s_1_video.html

Talking Re: Michael Jackson's prime?

I'm surprised you don't know the history of JB and Tex.

This goes all the way back to 1956, when James Brown and hos Famous Flames were the newest artist at the King label. Joe Tex had actually been signed by Syd Nathan a whole year earlier.

Upon there first few meetings, that had a battle on a radio station and a dance-off at a local club, which Joe Tex reportedly won both. They were not only label mates, but became good friends at that time. They usually performed on the same bill, opening up for the likes of Little Richard and Little Willie John (another King label mate.) Tex was let go sometime in 1957, he left hit-list (though he said he wrote "Fever" for Little Willie John but had to sell it to pay his rent.) James was not far behind, he only had one his, his first "Please" and wasn't close to a hit since.

Around this time, JB started to be known more and more for his show ... Tex accused him of stealing his moves. Most notably his mic tricks. Years later in 1960, Joe finally had a chart hit (barley) and JB was becoming a top dog on the R&B charts. JB had a show in Texas in 1959, Joe's home. Joe went to visit him backstage, and he gave him a song he released that year which went no where, "Baby, You're Right." JB put his name on the credits, released it and was one of his biggest early hits.

A year later, JB is touring Texas again. Joe visits backstage again and was shocked to find his ex-wife in James dressing room. JB said he didn't know Joe and Bea Ford were married. JB even put her on his show, and she was featured on a charting single in 1960.

Joe heard rumblings of JB not treating Bea good, and it was true. Once JB was finished with her, he kicked her out the tour (added Yvonne Fair) and even sent a telegram to Joe telling him he could have her back. Joe wasn't to fond of that and made maybe the first diss record titled "You Keep Her" where he calls JB out by name.

Joe Tex: You Keep Her

Someone had the great idea of putting Joe Tex in a homecoming bill for Jams Brown in Augusta, GA in 1963. When Joe hit the stage he let James have it, he did his whole act and for "Please" he purposely got himself tangled in a cape. JB didn't like that one bit. After the show he got word of where Joe was, down at a little bar where Otis Redding was performing. He let some rounds off at Joe.

Years passed by again, Joe had a hit on the charts. JB was huge in the late 60s, even owning a few radio stations. Tex accused JB of not spinning his records on various stations. Tex went as far as putting "The Original Soul Brother #1" on his tour bus.

More on Redding, I found a picture of his funeral where Tex is a Paul bearer and James is also there. It looks as if they lock eyes.

It was said the faulty plane Otis died in, he purchased from James Brown.
    Oh my God Poor Bea Ford. I thought the viscious 'diss records' were a 'hip-hop' thing but, "You Keep Her" ,oh my god

Learn something new everyday & when I was younger I just remember Tex as a 'clown' with a nice hit "Hold on...Got" ,but I had never heard of that feud with JB. Shows you Kizzle how fame can cloud peoples perceptions of others as I thought Tex was sort of paying homage to JB in "..Gotcha/Skinny Legs.." & never thought much of it (They hated one another & Tex would be pissed at that categorization of him paying homage to JB)

And the "help me get un-tangled out of this cape" bit was hilarious. Heard JB pulled a gun on Tex because of it(actually fired it & it's believable considering JB anger issues later on).

Historically speaking I just don't Tex belongs in any 'all time' list & felt others more deserving like Hank Ballard, Louis Jordan, Jagger, Elvis,etc....to bump him from your top 10 list.

But a list needs variety instead of the same names over & over.

As I got older though I have pursued (as far as books/reading) Jazz/Blues with R&B /Soul fading to nostalgia.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Pre-plastic surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    sorry if this was posted before, but i just saw this... the story behind michael jackson's cool anti-gravity shoes invention:
    http://izismile.com/2013/07/16/micha...s_1_video.html

I always knew it was wires or just a 'camera trick' on his Smooth Criminal video, but never knew he invented a shoe to do it 'live' until a few years ago( My interest in contemporary R&B/Pop etc.....was arrested back in the early 90's/late 80's.)

He should have done the lean alone & not with the back up dancers to increase the mystic a bit.

An Icon Forever

I always knew it was wires or just a 'camera trick' on his Smooth Criminal video, but never knew he invented a shoe to do it 'live' until a few years ago( My interest in contemporary R&B/Pop etc.....was arrested back in the early 90's/late 80's.)

He should have done the lean alone & not with the back up dancers to increase the mystic a bit.

This is sort of off topic, but do you feel Michael Jackson's father is one of the main reasons for Michael Jackson's success, or could Michael have done it without him? I was reading some stuff on Joe Jackson and he sounded like a tyrant; don't know it is is true or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    This is sort of off topic, but do you feel Michael Jackson's father is one of the main reasons for Michael Jackson's success, or could Michael have done it without him? I was reading some stuff on Joe Jackson and he sounded like a tyrant; don't know it is is true or not though.
    Both MJ & the media have been unfair to Joe & I certainly don't believe he becomes the polished entertainer he was without him,certainly not that early in life(He was already a seasoned veteran at 10 when arriving at Motown because of Joe.).

Could the Brothers have formed their own group(teens do it all the time) & been 'discovered' by someone? Sure , but without Joe's encouragement,tough discipline they may have become disinterested.

Joe was a tough disciplinarian ,but corporal punishment wasn't unsusual for kids then & Joe growing up in the 20's/30's thought that was the way you deal with kids(He loved hid kids & wasn't 'abusive' in his mind he just felt that's how he was raised & how his kids should be).
    Mike is the only one to seem to have enduring issues with it(which is understandable), but the Brothers are more empathetic of Joe's parenting skills based upon his own tough upbringing.
    Many great artists (JB, Prince,etc)make it without being egged onto a stage & actual tours at 6 years old & others with stage parents fizzle out.

But I can confidently say without Joe's influence there is no "Little Mike" especially nor the MJ we know today.
    Last edited by 32jazz; 07-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.

An Icon Forever

Both MJ & the media have been unfair to Joe & I certainly don't believe he becomes the polished entertainer he was without him,certainly not that early in life(He was already a seasoned veteran at 10 when arriving at Motown because of Joe.).

Could the Brothers have formed their own group(teens do it all the time) & been 'discovered' by someone? Sure , but without Joe's encouragement,tough discipline they may have become disinterested.

Joe was a tough disciplinarian ,but corporal punishment wasn't unsusual for kids then & Joe growing up in the 20's/30's thought that was the way you deal with kids(He loved hid kids & wasn't 'abusive' in his mind he just felt that's how he was raised & how his kids should be).
    Mike is the only one to seem to have enduring issues with it(which is understandable), but the Brothers are more empathetic of Joe's parenting skills based upon his own tough upbringing.
    Many great artists (JB, Prince,etc)make it without being egged onto a stage & actual tours at 6 years old & others with stage parents fizzle out.

But I can confidently say without Joe's influence there is no "Little Mike" especially nor the MJ we know today.

You make some good points man!

I sent you a PM.

n[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]ggaz used to make fun of me when i had Thiller in my CD player when i was in high school.... aint that some shit.

Michael Jackson was the best stage performer of all time, I remember when I was a little kid seeing his concerts on t.v and seeing tons of white people crying, falling out and layed out on stretchers. Nobody had that effect in music.

Oh my God Poor Bea Ford. I thought the viscious 'diss records' were a 'hip-hop' thing but, "You Keep Her" ,oh my god

Learn something new everyday & when I was younger I just remember Tex as a 'clown' with a nice hit "Hold on...Got" ,but I had never heard of that feud with JB. Shows you Kizzle how fame can cloud peoples perceptions of others as I thought Tex was sort of paying homage to JB in "..Gotcha/Skinny Legs.." & never thought much of it (They hated one another & Tex would be pissed at that categorization of him paying homage to JB)

And the "help me get un-tangled out of this cape" bit was hilarious. Heard JB pulled a gun on Tex because of it(actually fired it & it's believable considering JB anger issues later on).

Historically speaking I just don't Tex belongs in any 'all time' list & felt others more deserving like Hank Ballard, Louis Jordan, Jagger, Elvis,etc....to bump him from your top 10 list.

But a list needs variety instead of the same names over & over.

As I got older though I have pursued (as far as books/reading) Jazz/Blues with R&B /Soul fading to nostalgia.
    Nice performance of Joe Tex.

Joe Tex 1965

There was also a performance from 1965 where he covers Ray Charles "I Got A Woman" where he does killer mic work, but they took it down.

Nice performance of Joe Tex.

Joe Tex 1965

There was also a performance from 1965 where he covers Ray Charles "I Got A Woman" where he does killer mic work, but they took it down.
    Good stuff Kizzle. I may have to rethink the 'hack' remark because it's obvious the guy is talented & sometimes with murky pasts like that it's hard to figure out who is copying from whom sometimes.

I had my own limited memories of Tex from my youth(family weren't fans) & vaguely remembering his real classics & big hits.