Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: NBA No Longer Interested In European Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by sodap
    I don't think the draft system would be a problem, technically you can argue that the league is making the selection proccess and hiring the players, then distributing them on teams.
    It would never ever be accepted by the EU. Look how they changed the way football worked with the Bosman-verdict. A draft-system and a CBA severly restricting the players` ability to choose their own employers would be ruled illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    NBA teams would totally bankrupt in Europe, just like NFL Europe did. Europeans only care about their own clubs, which they have been supporting for decades. They won't leave that club affiliation which to them is like a part of their culture and way of life, to see an NBA expansion team.
    If this is true than why were so many European's cheering for the NBA teams in their city.
    Alba Berlin guard Heiko Schaffartzik: "It was weird that so many people in the audience cheered for the opposing team. This usually does not happen here."

And here are some facebook pictures of someone who went to the Celtics/Milan game:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    This fans said: "Personally, I was at the Celtics game in Milan and, like I said in another comment, I had a frickin

Stern is so full of shit. Everyone in Europe knew this was a complete fantasy that the NBA could ever compete with big European clubs in the market in Europe.

European fans always laughed at this craziness. No NBA team can compete with Real Madrid, Barca, Olympiacos, PAO, Fener, etc. in their home markets.

The economic analysts must have finally told him how nuts he was. The NBA can't just swoop into Europe and out the Euroleague and it's big clubs, or even mildly compete with it in its own market.

They could have a team in London and maybe one in Paris, and that's about it. This was always a complete fantasy by Stern. European fan base is cemented as hard as stone with their own clubs and they would have absolutely no interest in supporting NBA teams.

The ONLY way that would have ever worked was if Stern wanted to make a European division using existing European clubs, or if he wanted to make a world championship game between the Euroleague winner and the NBA winner.

This idea of his of making 5 "expansion NBA franchises in Europe" was always totally insane and absurd, as it could never work. Apparently, he finally realized that.
    Brooklyn exists in the Knicks market, why the **** wouldn't an NBA team and a team from another league be able to coexist in huge cities? You're a moron.

[QUOTE=gabepizza]If this is true than why were so many European's cheering for the NBA teams in their city.
    Alba Berlin guard Heiko Schaffartzik: "It was weird that so many people in the audience cheered for the opposing team. This usually does not happen here."

And here are some facebook pictures of someone who went to the Celtics/Milan game:
    This fans said: "Personally, I was at the Celtics game in Milan and, like I said in another comment, I had a frickin

[QUOTE=gabepizza]If this is true than why were so many European's cheering for the NBA teams in their city.

Very good NBA starter

not even gonna bother to explain all the logical reasons.

NBA global expansion with teams across the oceans is just a dumb idea to begin with.

what the nba should do is simply continue what it's been doing and doing well, which is focusing on expanding fans all around the world and creating more exposure. they don't need to place teams overseas to have overseas fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    not even gonna bother to explain all the logical reasons.

NBA global expansion with teams across the oceans is just a dumb idea to begin with.

what the nba should do is simply continue what it's been doing and doing well, which is focusing on expanding fans all around the world and creating more exposure. they don't need to place teams overseas to have overseas fans.
    Simple as that.

The NBA could never ever compete with the big European clubs on their own market. Get serious.

You do realize that a Euro expansion would probably mean the NBA would be taking in the bigger Euro teams don't you?

Why start a franchise from scratch when you have ones ready made?

It would be just like when they took in several ABA teams in the 70s.

Now I agree with everyone that it was a dumb idea to begin with but the idea that they would start completely new teams is silly. They would look to bring in Euro teams that met certain benchmarks before they just did everything themselves. It would make far more financial sense to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    Exactly it's Berlin and Milan, they have no clue wtf is going on on the court anyways. That would never happen if they played in Lithuania or balkan countries, NBA teams would have to face best crowds they've seen even tho it would be only preseason game if it was in Lithuania or Serbia.

Yes I would love nba team in my city, I would definetly come to the game (Arena is like 15minutes away on feet), but there is no way i would cheer for any nba team over Zalgiris ever in my life, there would be close to none if any at all supportes of any nba team in arena if it played vs zalgiris.

Yes and everyone should ignore Euroleague poster. He should get banned aswell, but you aren't that much better if u spend hours to argue with him, how hard is to ignore him ?
    Yeah I agree. The NBA wants to market in Western Europe because it's more about money. No offense, but even though Lithuania and balkan countries care more about basketball, they just don't have the economy that would make the NBA interested. First and foremost the NBA is a business and Germany and Italy have bigger economies.

That being said. You're right about the Euroleague and I'll try to ignore him from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Look at at least a third of the NBA's markets and their professional sports saturation. Then look at the markets potentially available in Europe. The NBA has no interest in overtaking Euroleague clubs, just a franchise being in a market that can financially sustain it. You have no clue what this discussion is actually about.

Whatever, this argument is stupid, you're stupid.
    You are a moron and an ignorant jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    How would that work? A European division? Would that be new teams or would they "draft" from existing teams? It could happen if thr NBA was willing to take losses and could find a couple of guys like prokhorov that have no respect for money.

Another thing, you guys realize that there are a gazillion of leagues and teams on europe right? And if the best players were concentrated only on 30 professional teams NBA wouldn't be much better... you guys treat Europe like it's a singular entity, well it isn't... Euroleague is a qualification tournament which means a lot of good players are left out.
    If you have not already figured it out yet, most of the posters here are retarded.

[QUOTE=sodap]Florentino P
    Last edited by Euroleague; 10-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Brooklyn exists in the Knicks market, why the **** wouldn't an NBA team and a team from another league be able to coexist in huge cities? You're a moron.
    Right...so an NBA team in Madrid is going to get the market over Real Madrid.

NBA team in Barcelona over Barca.....

NBA team in Athens over PAO and Olympiacos...

NBA team in Istanbul over Galatasaray, Fener, Besiktas......

NBA team in Tel Aviv over Maccabi........

NBA team over Partizan or Red Star in Belgrade......

etc., etc., etc...........

You are so ****ing stupid that it is downright pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    Exactly it's Berlin and Milan, they have no clue wtf is going on on the court anyways. That would never happen if they played in Lithuania or balkan countries, NBA teams would have to face best crowds they've seen even tho it would be only preseason game if it was in Lithuania or Serbia.

Yes I would love nba team in my city, I would definetly come to the game (Arena is like 15minutes away on feet), but there is no way i would cheer for any nba team over Zalgiris ever in my life, there would be close to none if any at all supportes of any nba team in arena if it played vs zalgiris.

Yes and everyone should ignore Euroleague poster. He should get banned aswell, but you aren't that much better if u spend hours to argue with him, how hard is to ignore him ?
    I other words, everything I said was true, and everything Gabe said was fiction and totally made up. But I should be banned anyway, just because the NBA only fans argue with me.....

Right............not like the NBA only fans like Gabe that just lie endlessly here should be banned instead.......