Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: 2011/12 Observation Deck

Mitch McGary commits to Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Mitch McGary commits to Michigan
    That's been a badly kept secret for several days now. Glad it wasn't Duke since it's been apparent for awhile UNC wasn't in the mix.

The season finally starts today.

Looking forward to seeing all the St. John's recruits in action, especially Nurideen Lindsey. I think this team could cause some big upsets in the Big East if the chemistry is there.

In the Zona game, I'm interested in seeing if Josiah Turner is as good as advertised as well as the other big recruit, Angelo Chol.

Wish the Mississippi St. game was televised.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Kentucky is leading Morehouse 63-6, 4 minutes remaining first half

William and Mary has hung tought with St. John's 10 minutes into the first half. St. John's has pushed their lead out to 55-43 now, though.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-07-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Lindsey and Harkless both look good. Looking forward to watching this squad grow.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Williams and Mary has hung tought with St. John's 10 minutes into the first half. St. John's has pushed their lead out to 55-43 now, though.
    SJ lost what, like 10 guys? And I think 3 of their heralded freshman class couldn't make grades. Lavin's obviously got em looking up big time but it's not going to be immediate.

Speaking of, Lavin in the gym coaching with the cancer and everything? I'm not watching.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    SJ lost what, like 10 guys? And I think 3 of their heralded freshman class couldn't make grades. Lavin's obviously got em looking up big time but it's not going to be immediate.

Speaking of, Lavin in the gym coaching with the cancer and everything? I'm not watching.
    Yeah, they lost basically their entire team from last year. The recruiting class did have like 8 or 9 players in it but, like you said, three of them didn't qualify academically and aren't there. They said St. John's has seven scholarship players right now.

And no, Lavin isn't there tonight.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

102-28

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1125791.html

UNC related but it's a really cool article about the GOAT.

My observations from today's games.

Nurideen Lindsey is an elite athlete. His speed and explosiveness was way too much for W&M. I was impressed with his finishing ability and some of the passes he made in drive and dish situations. I'm not convinced he's a pure point guard and his jumper looks poor, but this guy's definitely an NBA caliber athlete and could be a major player in the Big East.

Moe Harkless has great size for a 3 man and seems to have a measure of versatility in his game. I could see him playing the 2, 3, and 4 at times. His jumper looks smooth and he seems pretty athletic. He definitely looks like the best wing on this team.

God's Gift Achiuwa really impressed me. Despite being undersized, his strength, athleticism (quick of his feet and explosive), long arms, hands, and motor are top notch for his position. He doesn't seem overly skilled or polished but his aggressiveness and positioning appear to set him up for a lot of easy buckets and garbage points around the bucket. With the ineligibility of the other freshman, he'll likely be the only post threat on this team.

Sir'Dominic Pointer looks like another really athletic wing who could play a big role as a defensive stopper and floor spacer.

Kyle Fogg had a great game…probably the leader of this squad.

Nick Johnson is a great addition to this team…seems like a really dynamic scorer. Looked a lot more ready for this level of play than Turner.

Angelo Chol could be a hell of a player by the end of the season. He's much more polished offensively than I expected.

Didn't see much from Josiah Turner, but it's still extremely early, obviously.

Kevin Van Wijk on Valpo is a pretty good undersized post player. Could see him having a big year in the Horizon league. No one on Arizona could defend him one on one.

Ryan Broekhoff from Valpo looks like a really good shooter…good size for a guard at 6'7".

St. John's is really athletic and could cause teams a lot of problems with their length and full court press. Perimeter shooting could be their downfall though. If St. John's returns everyone next year and their ineligible recruit situation is resolved…they'll be a force.

We've got to think of something else to call Achiuwa other than God's Gift. I just can't type that with a straight face, and it's going to take me a while to remember the correct spelling of Achiuwa. On top of that St. John's has a guy named Sir'Dominic.

They definitely win the award for most ridiculously named roster. I think God's Gift almost wins them the award alone.

St. John's has the most out there names, but in terms of fun factor Memphis can/will field a starting 5 of all alliterative names this season.

Joe Jackson
    Will Weatherspoon
    Chris Crawford

Is there more? Those are the only three I can think of off the top of my head.

OK, "will" is probably a little strong but;

Charles Carmouche
    Joe Jackson
    Chris Crawford
    Wes Witherspoon
    Stan Simpson