Page 140 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4090130137138139140141142143150 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2288

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Good post, I agree with much of what you said, but the bench can sometimes be used as a motivational tool. If a player is just doing whatever he wants on the court, not following the coach's directions, and he gets to stay on the floor, the coach loses all credibility to the rest of his players. Why should they continue to work hard if this other guy is doing his own thing and is facing no repercussions? This isn't the NBA where the guys on the bench don't care because they're getting paid. These guys want to play basketball.
    Well, for instance, take Brandon Paul. We've seen him get benched for taking shots that Bruce didn't want him to take. But while Brandon is on the floor he is playing D as hard as he can and hustling. I agree with benching someone like McCamey who was just doing whatever he wanted out there. Or even benching someone like Richmond who was a stud and went hard but also had an attitude and off court issues. But I want my guys to know what a good shot is. However, if they think they can create something and mess up, they know they messed up. No reason to compound it by sitting them on the bench. We don't really have any low IQ players or problem children, per se. But I can tell a lot of the time that our guys are fearing Bruce's wrath. Which they shouldn't be playing against Bruce and the other team.

It's just sad that they think running some dead end play and kicking the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds is better than taking a 'bad shot.' If I was a coach and people swung the ball around with no purpose like we do, I'd be calling a time out. You gotta make something happen. The defense has to shift somehow.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Poor Eric. It's ok, everyone's made to look like a big hypocrite at least one time in their life.

(Only say this cause I've put the entire situation behind me and enjoy him as a player)
    True that and the funniest thing about hypocrisy is that he probably never even thought about that when he said it. Honestly, I'm sure he's much past that as a man, too.

He's a hell of a bball player. I didn't think he'd be as good as he is as an undersized 2.

I think he shafted us, but I don't hate him.

-Smak

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Poor Eric. It's ok, everyone's made to look like a big hypocrite at least one time in their life.

(Only say this cause I've put the entire situation behind me and enjoy him as a player)
    I hated the guy too, not as much as Illini fans of course, but I'm in the same boat now too. Dreaming of him forcing his way home. Even though the constant minor injuries are worrisome.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Our offense was brutal WITH DJ Richardson. It is indescribably bad without him.

I'm not watching real close because I'm watching UNC on ESPN3, but have the Ohio State-Illinois game on mute in the background. Noticed where your boy Leonard is having a nice game against Sullinger offensively. Using his big height advantage nicely around the rim.

BRANDON PAUL OH JESUS. I want a pic of him standing in Jared's face like wut.

-Smak

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

They need this type of intensity all year!

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I hated the guy too, not as much as Illini fans of course, but I'm in the same boat now too. Dreaming of him forcing his way home. Even though the constant minor injuries are worrisome.
    I've had him on my fantasy team for almost every season he came into the league. Guy sits out if he has a stubbed pinkie. Hell of a player, but way too injury prone.

In other news. Brandon Paul. Play like this more often please.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Bout time we got one of these to go our way. BP had a Deron against Arizona and Frank against Kansas kind of game. Illini fans know about those two references. You better know.

In other news. Brandon Paul. Play like this more often please.
    He needs more leeway. If he misses 5 shots in a row he shouldn't stop shooting.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

First of all...Brandon Paul we are not worthy

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    He needs more leeway. If he misses 5 shots in a row he shouldn't stop shooting.

-Smak
    Yes, he should stop shooting if he misses 5 in a row. This night was the exception, not the rule. Most of Paul's shots need to be closer to the hoop. Less jumpers, more drives, he needs to be more aggressive most of the time. If he's feeling it, by all means, go for it, but if he's cold he must be much more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    First of all...Brandon Paul we are not worthy

Yes, he should stop shooting if he misses 5 in a row. This night was the exception, not the rule. Most of Paul's shots need to be closer to the hoop. Less jumpers, more drives, he needs to be more aggressive most of the time. If he's feeling it, by all means, go for it, but if he's cold he must be much more aggressive.
    Let me clarify:

I mean we need to keep faith in him as our go-to scoring option and allow him to get his rhythm in games. I wasn't saying jump shots. I just mean we can't go away from him if he looks like he's struggling because even though he might miss shots or make mistakes, at the end of the game or even the season, he is still our only offensive player who has the potential to be a go-to perimeter scorer on a consistent basis.

I don't agree with starving people off from the ball when they are struggling. They need to get the exact same touches. Give them less touches, they are more likely to force shots, and stop giving them touches at all and the other team will pick up on that and use it to their advantage. If BP is standing there with a good look at a 3 and he wants to shoot it, I really think they should give him the ball instead of thinking "no, he's missed a few, let's swing it around." But that's just me. The gamble of allowing him to catch fire is worth watching him miss a three. Pass it to him and start running back on D.

I, unlike coaches like Bruce, am not bothered by missed jumpers especially if the team doesn't allow a break off of them. It's rare, IMO, that players lose a game by missing shots unless the whole team shoots like 30% it's usually the lack of rhythm and loss of confidence that comes from their teammates giving up on them.

-Smak

Also, I'd say that is the best performance I've ever seen by a player. Dude put up 40 (although they gave him like 6 points at the end), and that last three he hit for the dagger was such a tough shot. He had a lot of turn overs, but man you rarely see a college player carry a team like that in a big ten conference game.

It amazes me that they have a picture of Brandon Paul about to block Jared and a bunch of pictures of him being held by Meyers Leonard but not ONE of him standing there in Jared's face after he blocked him.

If anyone finds that shit, post it here!

-Smak

I'm ok with missed jumpers if it's within the flow of the offense. If Brandon ran off a baseline screen and missed an open 3 or midrange shot, then ok, I'll live with that till the day I die. He can go 0-15 and I'll be ok with it. Cause those shots will fall more often than not. However, my issue has been the random pull up jumpers. The ones from 25 feet or the ones in the face of coverage. He's talented enough to get to the rim, so he should do that first before he pulls up. That's what's going to seperate him in the pros. He's young, he's fast, he's long, he's athletic. No reason he shouldn't be shooting in the high 40s to low 50s every game. He's got guys like DJ and Griffey to spread the offense for him to get lanes.